We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO to Golden Gate Park

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
8 helpful votes
SFO to Golden Gate Park

Could you advise best way way for a party of four to ride public transport from the Airport to GG Park in the AM.

Also heard from a tour company cable cars routes may be under repair in June..any update ?

Thanks

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,402 posts
22 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: SFO to Golden Gate Park

First, regarding the cable car closures, probably the best source is the MUNI website: www.sfmta.com. (I don't remember the exact details but believe it is the first week of June that all lines are down and that the California Line is the one undergoing the first round of major repairs. I think the California line will be down both before & after the above closure.)

Second, regarding how to get to GG Park from SFO. Take BART from SFO to any of the downtown (Market Street) BART Stations. Civic Center will be your first option then: Powell, Montgomery and Embarcadero. From there you will switch to MUNI, the stations are the same, but you do leave the BART area & switch to the MUNI area (different platforms/tracks, separate fares, etc.).

You'll want to catch an *outbound* N-Judah. It will switch from subway to above ground and runs along the entire length of the park (varying one to two blocks away on the south side). Stops are every few blocks, so you won't have any problem getting close to wherever you are wanting to go to the park. Presuming you're heading to the museum area, the closest stop is 9th & Irving, but anywhere near there will be fine (for what it's worth, you'll find plenty of eating options in that area).

One last point, if you're just going to transfer directly to MUNI, it doesn't really matter which station you use, but if you want to go outside, walk around & experience downtown SF a little, you might not want to use Civic Center Station - it's not that it's unsafe (at least in the daytime) - just that there will be homeless, panhandlers, etc. which some visitors find disconcerting. On the other hand this is where you can a few of the iconic SF civic buildings, such as city hall.

Hope this helps,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
120 helpful votes
2. Re: SFO to Golden Gate Park

With 4 people you might as well take a cab. Price will be about the same.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,402 posts
22 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: SFO to Golden Gate Park

Oops, missed the 4 people part. Sal's right.

Particularly if you value the convenience (& speed) of a cab, it won't be much much more (if any) than the BART/MUNI route I listed. The BART MUNI route will run ~$40, a seat of the pants guess on a cab ~$50. A cab will probably be ~30 minutes the BART/MUNI ~45 minutes at best and probably more like 60 (time of day & day of week will impact all these time estimates).

On the other hand, if you're going to be in town for awhile a MUNI Passport can address some of the cost factor and the route I gave isn't a bad way to introduce yourself to SF, BART & MUNI.

hlo

Edited: 11:04 am, May 22, 2011
California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
84 reviews
86 helpful votes
4. Re: SFO to Golden Gate Park

From SFO, it makes much more sense to use the Daly City or Glen Park stations rather than Civic Center or any of the stations downtown.

If your party wants to use public transit, you have these 2 easy options:

1. Ride BART from SFO to Daly City. Transfer to the Muni 28-Nineteenth Avenue bus line.

2. Ride BART from SFO to Glen Park. Transfer to the Muni 44-O'Shaughnessy bus line.

If you decide to take a taxi, you can pick one up at the airport or at the Glen Park station. The taxi fare will be about the same as the BART/Muni fare.

sf
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
5. Re: SFO to Golden Gate Park

Davdavis is on the mark, easiest MUNI is Glen Park, but I agree the best is a taxi.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
34 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: SFO to Golden Gate Park

I don't know if it's still the case, but there is a free courtesy transfer to the Muni 28 if you took BART to the Daly City station. I used this service a couple years ago.

7. Re: SFO to Golden Gate Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 25, 2012