We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking garage/Street parking near MARK HOPKINS Nob Hill

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Parking garage/Street parking near MARK HOPKINS Nob Hill

Hi, we'll be in the city next weekend (5/27-30). We will have a rental car with us for a couple side trips during our stay. Is there any parking garage or street parking nearby? If so, how much is the rate? Thanks in advance!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking garage/Street parking near MARK HOPKINS Nob Hill

Street parking will be all but non-existent and in the big picture your best parking option is probably the hotel (with what I am certain is a high parking rate).

This is mainly because any other parking options I can think of, in addition to just the walking time required to get there (and back) every time you want your car, will also require you to hoof it up & down Nob Hill. This is *not* a minor hill, but a multi-block elevation change, some of which is steep.

Similarly, while the rate might be lower, it's still going to be fairly expensive. How much is your time & effort worth?

Given that the normal advice on this forum is to avoid a car while in SF if possible, but understanding that you have specific needs/desires regarding "side trips," I ask you to consider the following options.

First, if possible just do daily rentals on your car - pick it up in the morning - drop it off that afternoon/night. Yes there will be a certain hassle factor to this, but it will save you the time, headaches & cost related to parking the car overnight.

Second, just bite the bullet and pay the Mark Hopkins rate. To minimize this, schedule your side trips on consecutive dates. In other words, pick the car up on Monday & take a trip, overnight it at the Mark Hopkins, take your second trip and then return it that second day.

Three, reconsider your side trips and/or how to get there. You really don't have that much time in SF; at least not enough that I would normally recommend people consider trips outside the city. There's just so much to to in SF that even 4 days isn't enough to do it justice. Alternatively, if by "side trips" you're not talking about "day trips" outside of the city (i.e. not wine country, Monterey, Santa Cruz, etc), but are instead mean something closer (say the east bay or San Jose), you might consider how (if) you could do it using some of the Bay Area's regional transit (BART, Caltrain, Ferries, etc.).

Fourth, I'm not even going to suggest you switch to a hotel with free parking as few (if any) of them are in the same league as the Mark Hopkins, but for completeness had to mention that this option exists.

Lastly, if you search for forum (probably for "Union Square" & "parking"), you'll certainly find this other threads as it is fairly common topic. Somewhere there should be a list of non-hotel parking options, costs, locations, pros & cons, etc.

Anyway that's a few thoughts hope they help,

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking garage/Street parking near MARK HOPKINS Nob Hill

Agree with hlo about consolidating your travel to shorten the time you'll have the car.

Forget about trying to park on the street.

There is the Masonic garage on California on Nob Hill. Expensive but perhaps less than what the hotel charges and it is 1/2 block away. masonicauditorium.com/patrons/parking.html

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking garage/Street parking near MARK HOPKINS Nob Hill

When our son visited us when we were staying at the Mark Hopkins, he parked across the street at Grace Cathedral.

You can check to see if that works out any cheaper than the MH.

gracecathedral.org/visit/…

dallas
Level Contributor
268 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking garage/Street parking near MARK HOPKINS Nob Hill

Thank you all so much for the parking info and suggestions! I will try those two garages you recommended when we get there.

Yes, I tried not to take the car into the city. My CA trip is from 5/25-5/31, and my original plan was to spend 2-night in the park, 2-night in Napa and then as soon as we check into MH, we would return the rental car. However, my trip itinerary was eventually altered by the lodging availability at Yosemite Park and Napa Valley. So now, we will spend the first two nights inside the park, then two-night in the city, because several Napa hotels on my list don’t have a room available until 5/29.

When we visited the city a couple of years ago, we stayed at le meridien and we were able to find a parking spot on the street near that hotel and parked there every night during the long weekend.

5. Re: Parking garage/Street parking near MARK HOPKINS Nob Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 23, 2012