We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf's Up at Mavericks

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Surf's Up at Mavericks

One of the premier surfing contests in the world is taking place just 25 miles south of San Francisco Tuesday.

The Mavericks Surf Contest is set. There's even a bus shuttle from SBC Park. Have you driven to Hawaii's North Shore to catch a view of surfers riding the storied waves of kings? You may be able to see some world class surfing on some truly scary waves.

See www.mavericks.bolt.com

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf's Up at Mavericks

At the moment, the speculation is that the waves will be as high as thirty-three feet!

I think they can't be seen from shore, though.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf's Up at Mavericks

Grant Baker of South Africa won $30,000, with two scores of ten, riding waves as high as 40 feet.

It was a perfect: A record-breaking 73° and sparkling clear.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf's Up at Mavericks

Oddly, my schedule found me waking up yesterday morning at Seal Cove Inn, less than a miles walk to the best viewing point. I had heard of the wave and contest, but had no idea its popularity. After getting directions from the Inn, I headed out and found families, kids and adults, bikers and hikers. The whole area from Moss Beach to the Airport and Princeton Harbor and far beyond was a mass of people going to watch this wave riding. Alas, a pair of binoculars would have made this a bit more interesting, but the throng of people having fun on a beautiful sunny day in a lovely part of the country was a great way to start the day!

Mentioned in this post
Moss Beach
Moss Beach
California
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surf's Up at Mavericks

Lucky you! If you didn't have binoculars, take a look at these sites. They have links to photos and video:

SJ Mercury News:

mercurynewsphoto.com/story/…index.html

mercurynews.com/mld/…13818966.htm

SF Chronicle

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi…

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surf's Up at Mavericks

Hello, HC! HEre you are inour neck of the woods! I wish I could have been there...