We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay Area Transportation

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Bay Area Transportation

What is the cheapest, safest and most efficient way to travel with luggage from Oakland Airport to downtown San Francisco, and later from Fisherman's Wharf area back to Oakland Airport?

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay Area Transportation

how much luggage? One large rolling suitcase can be done via BART to SF and taxi to Fish Wharf. Just really depends on how much you are hauling.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay Area Transportation

Each of your superalatives comes with a slightly different answer. Only you can choose, depending on the amount of your luggage and your preferences.

1. Cheapest: BART (Oakland to SF) and Muni (Exit SF Embarcadero BART station street to F-streetcar line to Fisherman's Wharf). Door-to-door, it's probably an hour or more.

2. Safest: A toss-up depending on time of travel and your own comfort level. BART/Muni is safe. Cabs are presumably safe.

3. Efficiency: Cab. Requires no transfers and a straight ride to your own hotel. Door to door, it's probably a 25-minute ride if there are no accidents or heavy traffic / backups on the Bay Bridge or the bridge toll plaza.

There has been extensive and repeated discussion topic before. For some Union Square area hotels, it's just BART. For Fisherman's Wharf, it's BART and Muni or BART and a cab (figure the cab ride from Embarcadero station to FW is about $10). Some people aren't comfortable or used to taking public transit, some people

I was going to provide you a link from the forum about this, but the search function seems to have gone AWOL at this moment. Try "Oakland Airport" and "Fisherman's Wharf" when it comes back up.

In the meantime, here are some links by which you can see if public transit looks do-able:

www.bart.gov (use the trip planner because scheduled service changes weekdays to weekend). It will also show you fares.

www.sfmuni.com

Lastly, here's how I make my decisions. You may be a different story: If it's just me or me and my husband traveling with a suitcase or two, I'd take BART/Muni or BART/taxi to the wharf. If I'm taking my imaginary family of four, I'd probably take a cab, even though it's expensive (too much schlepping of baggage). If I'm on a tight budget with my imaginary family of four, I'd go back to public transit. If I'm arriving at 1 a.m., I'd probably take a cab (BART stops running after midnight and I don't like going to the BART Coliseum station that late at night, anyway).

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay Area Transportation

Each of your superalatives comes with a slightly different answer. Only you can choose, depending on the amount of your luggage and your preferences.

1. Cheapest: BART (Oakland to SF) and Muni (Exit SF Embarcadero BART station street to F-streetcar line to Fisherman's Wharf). Door-to-door, it's probably an hour or more.

2. Safest: A toss-up depending on time of travel and your own comfort level. BART/Muni is safe. Cabs are presumably safe.

3. Efficiency: Cab. Requires no transfers and a straight ride to your own hotel. Door to door, it's probably a 25-minute ride if there are no accidents or heavy traffic / backups on the Bay Bridge or the bridge toll plaza.

There has been extensive and repeated discussion topic before. For some Union Square area hotels, it's just BART. For Fisherman's Wharf, it's BART and Muni or BART and a cab (figure the cab ride from Embarcadero station to FW is about $10). Some people aren't comfortable or used to taking public transit, some people

I was going to provide you a link from the forum about this, but the search function seems to have gone AWOL at this moment. Try "Oakland Airport" and "Fisherman's Wharf" when it comes back up.

In the meantime, here are some links by which you can see if public transit looks do-able:

www.bart.gov (use the trip planner because scheduled service changes weekdays to weekend). It will also show you fares.

www.sfmuni.com

Lastly, here's how I make my decisions. You may be a different story: If it's just me or me and my husband traveling with a suitcase or two, I'd take BART/Muni or BART/taxi to the wharf. If I'm taking my imaginary family of four, I'd probably take a cab, even though it's expensive (too much schlepping of baggage). If I'm on a tight budget with my imaginary family of four, I'd go back to public transit. If I'm arriving at 1 a.m., I'd probably take a cab (BART stops running after midnight and I don't like going to the BART Coliseum station that late at night, anyway).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay Area Transportation

Exactly how much luggage are you talking about and how many people are you traveling with?

If you only have one suitcase on wheels, you could easily take BART and then a cab.

A shuttle service is another option, however not really cost effective if there are more than 2 people.

A cab or towncar will be around +$50 as well as a bridge fee and tip. It all depends upon your comfort level.

Personally, I would just end up taking a cab or towncar because it's direct and easy.