We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Nikko

Calabasas...
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Nikko

I'm a 40 year old single traveler who has never been to S.F. There is a great deal at the Hotel Nikko, What are you thoughts on this place, also open to other suggestions.. Planning on spending about $150 or less per night. Thank you

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Nikko

My experience with the Nikko is a little while ago and I found the overall experience and decor a little bland and clinical_____not welcoming.

To be fair however I have not been there very recently and all the amenities are good and it is a good location and I am assuming you are talking about under $150.

Sounds good to me.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,104 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Nikko

Stayed there a few years ago. Nice place. good location. Great double shower. Interesting Japanese restaurants and I think they have an indoor pool.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Nikko

The Hotel Nikko is very decent. In my opinion, it's time for a bit of a remodel and the rooms are not all that spacious, but who comes to San Francisco to spend time in the room? If you are traveling alone or with only one other person, I think that this hotel is fine in the way of space. I believe they call themselves a 4 star, but I think it's more along the lines of a 3 or 3.5. At $150/night you could definitely do MUCH worse. I think the location is good, and they do have an indoor pool (but will you really use that?) the ammenities are decent, but not anything spectacular.

I wouldn't say that it would be my #1 choice in a hotel, but I also wouldn't hesitate to suggest it on occassion either.

Also consider:

The Westin St. Francis (New tower room only)

The Pan Pacific (Newer, modern hotel, right by Union Square & the cable car line, large rooms, luxury hotel, plenty of extras.)

The Chancellor (Great location, smaller rooms, boutique hotel. Not as many extras as a luxury hotel, but very clean and simply excellent customer service.)

The Villa Florence (Boutique hotel, again, it will have small rooms)

The Donatello

If you are on more of a budget and don't want to spend as much for the above check out:

The Hotel Des Arts

The Powell

The Castle Inn

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Nikko

If I got a good deal, I would not hesitate to stay there. Good hotel in a good location.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Nikko

watch out for all the homeless people who hang out around that area! we were stalked by a few, no joke!!! But, the hotel is really nice...just the bums ruined the experiance!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Nikko

I work in the neighborhood around the Nikko and walk around there at all times of the day or night, en route to my garage or on the way to a Muni route. You will encounter panhandlers and it's simply a fact of life in many urban areas, but I've never felt unsafe. In general, if you are civil, purposeful and do not engage, it should suffice.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Nikko

There are homeless people all over San Francisco, not just near the Hotel Nikko. They are harmless, and while it can be annoying to constantly be hit up for money, just keep walking and avoid eye contact and don't say anything. You will be just fine. I wouldn't let that discourage me from choosing the hotel.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Nikko

we actually walked down and back to the Nikko several times on past two visits to pick up hire cars etc and I cannot remember seeing any homeless around there.

Not that they would present a problem as has been pointed out to you_____Dont let Homeless discussion sway your decision.

Have a great trip.

Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Nikko

I got a room at Nikko in end of February for $100 flat per night. Go to priceline.com and get it there.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
222 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Nikko

Hi, The Nikko is fine. The homeless are present because of the parking garage caddy corner to the hotel and because Glide Church is near by.

General rule of thumb:

O'Farrell side entrance: Do not go left

Mason Street entrance: do not go left

Ellis Street entrance: do not go right

If the homeless ask you for something just say you are sorry and can not help today and keep walking. If they say good morning say good morning. etc.

Do not ignore them as they are people too.