We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound Bus Location

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Sussex
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Greyhound Bus Location

Please could someone let me know if there is a Greyhound bus location at SFO airport, if not how long would it roughly take to travel to the nearest location.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

SFO is not in San Francisco. Greyhound is located at the Transbay Terminal (http://temporaryterminal.org) in San Francisco. From the airport, you would take BART (http://www.bart.gov) to Embarcadero Station and then walk a few blocks. Alternatively, if you don't have luggage, you can take SamTrans (http://www.samtrans.com) Rotue KX straight from SFO to the Transbay Terminal. The Greyhound building is at the corner of Main and Folsom streets.

Where are you going on Greyhound? Greyhound generally isn't the best way to travel around California. I recommend Amtrak buses and trains as a better alternative.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

I went to Greyhound website as I've never heard of a stop at SFO - correct, they don't run to the airport.

The address listed is 200 Folsom Street, the map can be found here - it's a temporary stop as the building was demolished, I think, and will be re-build.

temporaryterminal.org/find-your-bus-line/

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
320 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

Could you please tell me why Greyhound is not generally considered the best way to travel around California..we are considering several journeys with them next month as they have more time options than Amtrak..IWe will be travelling during the day..

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

People feel that Greyhound is generally less comfortable than Amtrak. Some people have expressed concerned about actual/potential bad behavior by Greyhound patrons. In some of the coastal areas between San Luis Obispo and Ventura and further south between San Clemente and San Diego the Amtrak tracks are closer to the ocean than the freeway, so you can get a great view from the train.

I feel that Amtrak is generally more comfortable. Longer distance Greyhound buses (e.g. San Francisco-Los Angeles) make meal stops at fast food restaurants which I try to avoid. I've never experienced any safety/behavior issues on Greyhound. Greyhound is generally somewhat cheaper than Amtrak, though typically not a great deal cheaper. Amtrak has a lot of service on certain corridors--notably the San Francisco Bay Area to Sacramento and Los Angeles to San Diego. On other corridors Greyhound is more frequent.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

Greyhound does have some safety considerations that are not an issue with Amtrak, but it comes down to comfort and price for me.

The days of Greyhound being cheaper than Amtrak have long since past--with the one exception of travel between LA and San Diego, where Greyhound is slightly cheaper (but at the expense of the LA depot being located in a very bad neighborhood). Amtrak's California Rail Pass (amtrakcalifornia.com/index.cfm/…) is $159 and is good on almost all buses and trains in the state, and this makes travel even cheaper if you will be making multiple trips.

As for comfort, Amtrak trains are undeniably the best way to travel on land. Even Amtrak buses are nice--far nicer than Greyhound and less crowded too!

The only real issue with Amtrak is its routings. This is why I asked where you are going. There are a few itineraries that are just simply easier to put together on Greyhound, but it's unlikely that you'll be planning any such trip.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

How much would it cost to travel one way from San Diego to San Francisco by Pacific Coastal highway ? Should I catch a Greyhound bus or should I take Amtrack bus or train to get the best views along the way ? How long does it take to reach San Francisco from San Diego by bus or train?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,538 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

On the bright side, the Greyhound station in San Francisco is brand spanking new. It's at the back end of the temporary terminal.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

Greyhound buses run along the freeway between Southern and Northern California. Almost all trips run along I-5, which is NOT scenic at all. Amtrak, on the other hand offers an excellent option!

From San Diego to LA, you would take the Pacific Surfliner train. It runs along the coast from Del Mar to San Clemente. In LA you would make a transfer to the Coast Starlight train, which runs along the coast from Ventura to Guadalupe, including through a long stretch of beautiful coastline that is inaccessible by car. Ride the train to Oakland, and then make a timed connection to an Amtrak bus that will take you across the Bay Bridge and into San Francisco.

Go to http://www.amtrak.com for schedule and fare information.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
178 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

I would definitely advise against relying on Greyhound. The buses aren't that comfortable, the distances in California are long, and the Greyhound bus stops are invariably in the crappiest part of town.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greyhound Bus Location

So Greyhound's San Francisco station is at the Temporary Terminal, which is in the Financial District.

Their San Diego station is in the back of a fancy hotel in Downtown San Diego, less than a block off Broadway, the main drag.

Their Santa Barbara station is behind a Saks Fifth Avenue store (!), a block off State St., which is the main downtown street there.

The Los Angeles station is a bit remote (over a mile) from the downtown core. The neighborhood it's in is basically industrial, so not many amenities and pretty lonely at night, but not exactly "bad" (the more problematic area is between Greyhound and the downtown core).

The Oakland station is at 21st & San Pablo, on the northwest edge of downtown Oakland. Going south or east from it you;re right into Downtown Oakland. Going north from it gets you into some rough territory (the freeway blocks you going west).

From San Diego to San Francisco is a very pretty but very long train ride. It's about 3 hours from San Diego to LA and those trains run frequently, no problem there. The LA to Bay Area train takes about 12 hours, some Greyhound trips are quicker. As Davdaven said, the quicker buses go most of the way up I-5 which is not very scenic.