We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term parking for several days

nebraska
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Long term parking for several days

Hi all, I've got a dilemma and need some help. We're driving our car from Nebraska, but don't necessarily want the car while we are in San Francisco for several days. We will be coming up to San Francisco from the Monterey area, and thought about the possibility of driving as far as a BART station like Colma or Daly City, then taking the BART into the city. However, at those stations there is only day parking, no long term. I don't know what I can do. Does anyone know of any long term parking in those areas, or any other ideas for getting to San Francisco without my car? I am open to all suggestions and possibilites! Thanks for any ideas!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Long term parking for several days

This is off the www.BART.gov website under parking programs:

Airport/Long Term Permit Parking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airport/Long Term Permit parking is an exception to the 24-hour time restriction at all East Bay BART stations with parking lots, except Coliseum and West Oakland. Parking in Long-term areas is $5.00 per day.

A limited number of spaces will be available in the Monthly Reserved parking area. Spaces are guaranteed until 10 a.m. After 10 a.m., any unoccupied parking space will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Clancy Systems International, Inc. offers an easy, convenient and secure way to make Long-Term parking reservations online with your credit card.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long term parking for several days

I don't know if this will help, but there are several very good Park and Fly options near the SF airport that are quite reasonable--about $9 a day--and very safe for leaving your car. It sounds kind of convoluted, but you could park there, take their shuttle to the airport and then take BART into the city. I can't remember the name of the one we used in December, but if you do a Google search, you'll find the major ones.

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long term parking for several days

check BARTs website. A station agent told me some San Mateo County stations (ie- Millbrae, San Bruno, South San Francisco) are free on the weekend. Unknown how long you can park, maybe the website would have an email for the BART Police who may do the enforcement.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,713 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long term parking for several days

You might consider staying at a place like the Laurel Inn. It's in a nice residential neighborhood in San Francisco with free parking and breakfast.

nebraska
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long term parking for several days

Thanks to all who have replied to my request. I saw on the BART website about the long term parking at east area stations, but wouldn't that be a long way out of the way if I'm coming up from Monterey (probably by way of Santa Cruz)? Looking at mapquest, the west stations like colma and daly city look much closer. If you think the east stations wouldn't be that much further, let me know. I'm a small town person (one stoplight in my town!!) and I'm trying to avoid some of the city driving if I can! Or maybe driving in San Francisco wouldn't be so bad??? I have no idea!

nebraska
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long term parking for several days

Oh, I also think we would be going to San Francisco during the week instead of the weekend, so that eliminates some of the possibilities. Thanks to all for you for your help!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long term parking for several days

Beware of parking restrictions. Some towns allow overnight parking on the street, others prohibit it. Some towns limit on-street parking to no more than 3 days. Expect severe parking restrictions near BART stations in most towns. Just be absolutely sure you follow all parking restrictions, including those posted on the street and those that may not be posted. Tickets and towing are costly!

Do you have any friends who have friends or relatives who live near BART in the area south of San Francisco? They might be able to help you.

The simplest answer may be to stay at a motel in San Francisco with free parking and just don't use your car while you're in the city. That, at least, will minimize the amount of city driving you have to do.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long term parking for several days

Depending on where you're staying in San Francisco, nebraskamom, you could consider a long-term park in the city itself. We found a small private garage on Hemlock St, off Larkin, where we left our rental minivan for the duration of our stay for $16 per day. This included in/out privileges which we only used once. You really don't need a car to explore San Francisco, but if you're staying in the city this might be a more hassle-free option than negotiating public transport (and hills) with all your luggage.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Long term parking for several days

nebraskamom-

I think the Park and Fly idea is a good one if you want to be on the penninusla. For only $4 a day more, it is closer, more convenient and more secure. However, if you are coming from Santa Cruz, going to the Fremont Station is not that far out of the way. If you go farther North on the East side, you shorten the train ride. If you are headed back to Nebraska from the City, you are starting from a closer point being in the East Bay.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long term parking for several days

As suggested before, you could use the long term lots at SFO. It's on your way from Santa Cruz via 101 or 280. You can get the free shuttle to the International Terminal, where you will find BART. You could take BART to retrieve it if you wish to use the car some day. Here is a link

http://www.parksfo.com/index.html

or

flysfo.com/transport/…gt_prk_dirmaps.asp

or

www.parknfly.com/sanfrancisco/default.htm