We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels and city sightseeing?

Hi All

Our first trip to San Fran in Sept. We are thinking of staying near Fishermans Wharf as it looks like a good location. Any suggestions on where to stay? Is this one of the best locations? We won't have a car until the day we leave to drive to Tahoe.

Also thought a short city sightseeing tour might help us get a feel for where things are. Any suggestions on a good tour?

Thanks you guys gave me great advice on my other question.

Kathy

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels and city sightseeing?

Kathy,

Locals don't have a high opinion of FW. It's touristy, and unless you have 2 younger teenagers, I wouldn't really recommend it. If you can get a comperable rate at a downtown (Union Square) hotel, I'd definitely go for it. Wes Tyler (a regular on this forum) is with the Chancellor, and he has great deals right on the square (1/2 block north, actually), right on the cable car line. That cable car will take you to FW for the one time you'll want to go, and thankfully, back again!

You've done the right thing about not getting a car, public transportation is great.

If it's Labor Day weekend, be ready for EXTREMELY LONG lines for the ccars, but otherwise, you should be able to get on and off right near the hotel, it's regular transit, and if they're not full of tourists from the start, they stop every few blocks at designated stops.

If you have time, a 1/2 day city tour onteh first morning might serve to giv eyou ideas of where to go back to on your own. Others will weigh in on this, there are varied opinions.

That's one things we're not short of, opinions!

Enjoy,

H&S.

PS. you might have GREAT weather! It usually gets rather hot in SF in mid September, when the summer fog leaves. Perfect timing!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels and city sightseeing?

Hello Kathy.

I personally wouldn't stay at Fisherman's Wharf. The hotels are not that great given the cost. My advice: stay near Union Square. It's in the heart of the city and the hotels are much better than the ones you will find at the Wharf --not to mention better hotels for the cost!

Consider:

The Pan Pacific (newer hotel, very modern)

The Parc 55 (large hotel, fairly new, modern)

The Westin St. Francis (new tower room)

The Chancellor (older boutique hotel, smaller rooms)

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,509 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels and city sightseeing?

Hi,

Unless you have a specific reason to stay at the Wharf___then I wouldn't stay down there.

Union Square is by far the better location.

Check out the Chancellor when you look at hotels. As Huey and Sam mentioned it is in a great spot - boutique, historic hotel - good staff and Management will look after you.

www.chancellorhotel.com

Try Grayline Tours for a city tour (morning).

I always suggest newcomers do this first. It really gives you a good overview of the city - you will get a feel for the layout and determine what you might go back and spend more time with. They only take three and a half hours and finish back at the Wharf by lunchtime.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels and city sightseeing?

If you stay in Union Square, you can take the cable car, the 30-Stockton bus (slow) north through Chinatown and North Beach (Italian area), the 15-Third Street bus north through North Beach, or the F-Line north along Market Street, through the Embarcadero and Ferry Building, to Fisherman's Wharf. Fisherman's Wharf is convenient from Union Square.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels and city sightseeing?

Wow - it sure seem thats Fishersmans Wharf is not highly recomended to stay at. It just seemed so close in walking distance to everything.

But you guys no more than me since I've never been there. Where is Union Square? More in the center of town?

We won't be there Labor Day, we'll be there the 14th - 17th of September. Then drive to Tahoe where we usually go. Got a good rate flying into San Fran but out of Reno. Ususally to do that it is way out reach.

My hubbies 52nd bd is that Sat so thought we'd do a morning tour to Muir and Sasolita (sp?). Is this worth it? One tour said you could stay in Sasolita and take a ferry back over later in the day. Is Sasolita easy to get around without a car? And to the ferry etc?

We arrive on Thurs evening so Fri. morning will try and plan a short city tour. We only have 2 full days here but if we like it a lot we can always plan a trip there another year. This will be basically give us an idea. It adds something new to our yearly trip to Tahoe.

Thanks for all your help. Planning is half the fun and saves a lot of aggravation once you get there too.

Kathy

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels and city sightseeing?

Union Square is in the heart of San Francisco. It is apprx. 2 miles away from Fisherman's Wharf and the Wharf is easily accessible by cable car (apprx. 20 minute ride) or simply by walking (45 min or so) or taking a bus.

Great shopping is literally right outside the door and the cable car line runs up Powell St. and the stops are literally steps from many of the hotels.

Unless you are going with small children, Fisherman's Wharf is overpriced and simply not worth it. Explore it for a little while, but it's not anything that will take a super long time.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,509 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels and city sightseeing?

Most Muir Woods Tours offer you the chance to stay in Sausalito at the end.

Yes it is very easy to walk around - shops - galleries etc and the Ferry is very close.

Have lunch at Horizons (great views across Bay)

Check out their website www.horizonssausalito.com

or Spinnakers Restaurant which is close to Ferry Terminal.

Have a great visit.