We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in San Francisco

Singapore
7 posts
Save Topic
First time in San Francisco

Hi,

I'm from Singapore, and is planning a one-week trip to San Francisco somewhere in Mar. Is the weather going to be good then??

Any idea where can I get cheap lodging? Not necessarily hotels, I don't mind short-term rentals too.

One place I need to go is to the Academy of Arts to check out some courses there and the place as well.

Any other place a must visit??

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in San Francisco

It should be decent, but don't expect warmth. I always tell people, bring layers when coming here. You can never second guess the weather in The City.

It depends on your definition of cheap. The Chancellor is on Union Square and very close to everything. There is an Academy of Arts campus up the street (don't know which you need to go to though). You may also consider the Powell Hotel. It is a budget hotel, no frills, but pretty inexpensive and it should serve the purpose you want.

You may be interested in doing the other typical tourist things (ie Alcatraz, China Town, Fisherman's Wharf, etc...)

Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in San Francisco

hey....thanks for the tips...my budget for accomodation hopefully can be below USD50?? Any safe motels or dorms around the area?

any cool sceneries or nightviews in san francisco which i can catch? i dun think i will do much shopping coz i'm running on a tight budget...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in San Francisco

Hi I think your budget is a little low for San FRancisco. You might need to look at a hostel, or maybe couchsurfing.com. Good Luck

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in San Francisco

I think that is pretty low. Even most motels are $70-80 on average. You may want to try looking at a hostel.

You may enjoy Coit Tower/Telegraph Hill. Has great views of The City and of San Francisco Bay. Check out China Town, Lombard Street, Fisherman's Wharf... You can do a lot of things for free, only spending money if you choose to.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in San Francisco

For that kind of budget, check out the hostels. There are several good ones in SF, conveniently located. Do a Google search for hostels and San Francisco and you'll easily find them. There are also a few that are in neighborhoods I would not recommend. When you come up with a list of hostels you are considering, let us know and we can tell you what we think of the location for your needs.

March is a fine time to come here. You may get some rain.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in San Francisco

For that kind of budget, check out the hostels. There are several good ones in SF, conveniently located. Do a Google search for hostels and San Francisco and you'll easily find them. There are also a few that are in neighborhoods I would not recommend. When you come up with a list of hostels you are considering, let us know and we can tell you what we think of the location for your needs.

March is a fine time to come here. You may get some rain.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in San Francisco

Try the USA Hostels on Sutter or Taylor (sanfrancisco@usahostels.com) Friendly laid back, around $US51 for a private room with ensuite and best of all 2 blocks from Union Square. Stayed there for 5 nights in December 05 and 03, it can get a litle noisy and don't expect room service, but its clean and safe.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in San Francisco

I just put a Priceline bid in on a 3*** hotel in the SFO Airport area and it was accepted with a price of $40 a night for the Doubletree, right on the Bay in Burlingame,CA. I checked on the facility on this sight and it came up with mixed reviews like most other places do!

We are REALLY looking forward to our visit to SF!

DougTraveler rating:

Burlingame: Doubletree Hotel San Francisco Airport: "3 Star Hotel with 4 Star Convenience"

Apr 28, 2005: A TripAdvisor Member, Germany Compare prices with:

I stayed at this hotel in:

April, 2005

My ratings for this hotel are:

Rooms

Service

Value

Cleanliness

I traveled to this hotel with: spouse/partner

I recommend this hotel for: business travelers, couples and romantics, honeymooners, singles, families with small children, families with teenagers, large groups, seniors, students, budget travelers, active/adventure travelers, tourists

My visit was for: in-town getaway

After a roundtrip through california we stayed at the Doubletree (unfortunately for just one night). Before we had stayed at lots of other hotels and motels. Nowhere (not even at the Hyatt SFO) we found so much value for our money. The staff was very friendly and helpful - beginning with the hotel-shuttle-driver, ending with the reception staff. We even got a fresh (still warm) welcome-cookie. The rooms were spacious and tastefully furnished. No "marathon-marches" through endless corridors, no noise at night. We never

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
730 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in San Francisco

I would agree with the previous poster, and say that if you don't want to stay in a hostel, that you might want to try priceline. It is not unusual to see motels go for under $50 there. Before you bid though, you might want to check out biddingfortravel.com for tips, hotel list and recent biddings (and winnings) on hotels there.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in San Francisco

Keep in mind, if you're staying near the airport, you are going to have to commute in and out for everything. San Francisco it's self is not within walking distance. You can take the BART train in, which I believe is around $4.50USD each way, but depending on how many times you need to go in and out or what you're doing, it will add up so remember to factor in that cost.