We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union Square Hotels

Pak
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Union Square Hotels

I will be visiting San Francisco for the first time in March '06. I have been advised to stay at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel in Union Square. Does anyone know what this hotel is like or if there are any good alternatives?

Salisbury UK
Level Contributor
432 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Union Square Hotels

We visited San Francisco in October and we stayed at The Chancellor Hotel which is across the road from the Sir Francis Drake. I can't really comment on that hotel but certainly the Chancellor would be a very good alternative. Well managed and clean and comfortable and like the Sir Francis Drake is in a great location on Union Square. Look up the Chancellor on Trip Advisor and read the comments which are all very positive. Enjoy your trip as we did. Dave

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Union Square Hotels

There are always good alternatives. SF if chock full of hotels, and ones that are in the Union Square area. The question is what do you like? What is important to you? Think about what you like in terms of location (in the heart of things or away from the tourists? Views? etc), hotel amenities, price ...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Union Square Hotels

The Sir Francis Drake WAS a grand hotel in its day. The lobby is still very nice, but the rooms are overdue for refurbishment. The hotel was recently sold to a new owner, but is still managed by the Kimpton Hotels Company. The hotel is in a great location, has a nice Italian Restaurant and cafe on the street level and Harry Denton's Starlite Room on the roof. Unless the rate is really unbeatable, you can do better.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Union Square Hotels

I agree with Lurkerdave. Try the Chancellor_______Boutique historic hotel right on Union Square , great value for money with Masnagement and Staff who care.

www.chancellorhotel.com

I have stayed at the Francis Drake a few times and no matter how many times it has been refurbished they never seem to get it right. Perhaps the new owners in the future ?Check out the restaurant though, as Wes suggested.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Union Square Hotels

The Pan Pacific and the Parc 55 are two that I would recommend.

I would not stay at the Sir Francis Drake --it was a nice hotel at one point, but it has seriously gone down hill. Unless you find an amazing deal, it's not worth the prices I've seen.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Union Square Hotels

One word, as always: priceline.com

P.S. the Drake is not one of their 4* hotels

Pak
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Union Square Hotels

Thanks very much everybody. After looking at a few sites, among this one, it is clear to see that there is a huge amount of choice in SF. I want to be close to Union Square and there seems to be a lot of hotels in that area. I'll have a look at The Chancellor as it seems to have a great position and is very highly recommended. Thanks again!

Pak
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Union Square Hotels

Thanks very much everybody. After looking at a few sites, among this one, it is clear to see that there is a huge amount of choice in SF. I want to be close to Union Square and there seems to be a lot of hotels in that area. I'll have a look at The Chancellor as it seems to have a great position and is very highly recommended. Thanks again!

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Union Square Hotels

I definitely think the Sir Francis Drake is overrated and in need of refurbishment. Instead, I would also recommend the Chancellor in addition to the White Swan Inn and the Petite Auberge.

UK
Level Contributor
87 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Union Square Hotels

i just been over new year and stayed at teh handlery union square - jut off union square, and i thought was a nice hotel, recommend a club room as they are really good size... i know someone who recently returned from Drake and didnt like it..