We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

Hi all,

I've spent a fair bit of time on this board in preparation for our first trip to San Francisco next month (Wow! It's next month now, it seemed so far away when we booked it :o)

I wrote a previous post asking for suggestions of what to do on our first day in SF (and after travelling a number of hours). I think it might be nice for us to go for a good walk after being cramped on planes (we'll likely take public transit or a cab back to the hotel depending on how tired we are)!

I'm pretty sure someone on this board (a local San Franciscan I think) once talked about how nice the walk from Union Square to FW is. I do believe that the poster mentioned that on the way you can see Lombard St, Chinatown and maybe some other sights as well?? I looked at a map but can't seem to piece it together for myself (I'm not so great with maps!).

I'm wondering if someone could help me out with some basic directions?

Thanks in advance!!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Union Square
Union Square
1,885 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lombard Motor Inn
Lombard Motor Inn
669 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

I went back and read your prior post. Here is a map which follows the suggestion provided by caffiend of going through Chinatown.

Rather than take you through the Stockton tunnel, I routed this up onto Grant for a few blocks. Then over to and around Portsmouth Square (the "living room" of Chinatown), up to Ross Alley to see the Fortune Cookie Factory and then onto Stockton for a few blocks before turning onto Columbus.

Walking along Columbus will provide a lot of N Beach atmosphere and a view of Coit Tower. Continue along to Lombard Street and walk to the foot of the crooked section. This is really the best angle on Lombard.

I routed you back to Stockton and ended the map there. If you're tired you can catch the 30-Stockton on Columbus back to Stockton and Post or turn left on Columbus and walk all the way to Fisherman's Wharf.

http://union-square-to-chinatown-lombard-st

Edited: 10:46 am, August 03, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Stockton
Stockton
California
Columbus Motor Inn
Columbus Motor Inn
1,304 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Coit Tower
Coit Tower
4,055 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lombard Street
Lombard Street
14,580 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lombard Motor Inn
Lombard Motor Inn
669 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
16,256 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

Something went wrong when I made the link to the map. Try this: http://tinyurl.com/26hz4vs

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

Wow, this is the second time I've recommended this walk this week.

There's a trail called the Barbary Coast Trail designed by the SF Museum and Historical Society. It starts near Union Square and is marked with brass markers on the sidewalk. It ends at Ghirardelli, but you can modify it of course. There's an audio tour you can download for a few bucks, and a map and book you can buy, or check out of a library. The map is downloadable for free, but I think the info in the book was good and worth it. I learned a lot.

Here's their site: http://www.barbarycoasttrail.org/

The only warning is that the restaurant rec's in the book are out of date.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,885 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
4. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:09 pm, August 04, 2010
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

Ramblin Sal! Thank you so much for your map. That's above and beyond what I had hoped for! I just took my fold out map and a sharpie and mapped out your walk (it helped me visualize a bit!).

I'm wondering how long that walk will take us? I know it will depend on how often we stop and look at things but if we just walked it as you mapped it...?? I'm guessing less than an hour? Of course we will be stopping but we can factor that time in ourselves as we go along.

I'm thinking we'll hit the Safeway or Trader Joe's on Bay and Mason and then possibly treat ourselves to a cab back to the hotel. It will have been a long day at that point!

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Mason
Cafe Mason
1,104 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

The walk from Union Square, through Chinatown and North Beach, to FW takes me about 45 minutes without stopping.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,885 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
North Beach
North Beach
265 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

Thanks! That's around what I was guessing. With our stops here and there I'm guessing it will take a couple of hours. Then we can grab our groceries/hotel snacks, cab back to the hotel, put our feet up and rest up for our very first full day in SF :)

Thanks again everyone!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

You're welcome!

That walk is about 2 miles and most of it is flat (a bit of an uphill along Grant).

So, I agree with Simba ... 40-45 minutes.

You can catch a cab from Trader Joe's or walk over to Columbus and North Point (across the street from the Marriott) and catch the 30-Stockton which will take you back to Union Square.

Don't forget a trip report!

Mentioned in this post
Columbus Motor Inn
Columbus Motor Inn
1,304 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,885 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

It's been ages since I took that memorable walk. Try 1978. I was staying at the St. Francis during a national conference, and two colleagues and I decided to take the walk at dinner time. We went out on Grant Avenue through China Town and had dinner at a wonderful restaurant on Washington Square. Then we wandered west to the Buena Vista for Irish coffee. Seems to me, you could then go a couple of blocks up the hill to catch the Powell Street cable car back to Union Square. It was a very relaxing, wonderful evening.

Mentioned in this post
Washington Square
Washington Square
116 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,885 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
10. Re: Scenic walk from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2011