We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

Hello!

First off, thanks for the help with my hotel decisions. I may be staying at the Comfort Inn by the Bay (family member has points... yeah!).

My question is, can I board the Hyde street cable car at the intersection of Hyde st and Lombard st (at the top of the crooked section if I recall correctly), heading down towards union square, and the Powell street turnaround?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Cheers,

Ian

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

Oh, and how late do the cable cars run?

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

you can board if the car is not full. Normally the car is full going either direction but you might get luckey. I think the last car for Hyde might be between 11:30pm and midnight. It is quite a walk up the hill to this spot from your hotel. May I suggest any bus on Union Street to help you up and over the hill? Union St is about three blocks away, very safe area. Please watch for the cars as they drive fast down Lombard and Van Ness Av.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

Actually, Hyde and Lomard is a good place to get a seat on a cable car as many people get off there to take pictures of the crooked part of Lombard. The last car to Union Square area goes by at about 12:20am.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

Plainjohn and sean420 have given you the answer but I'd like to agree and add that it is a hell of a hill to go up from your hotel.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

Thanks all!

I would like to stay closer to Union square, but I am budget conscious this trip. I need a place within the $100 per night range for myself and a friend (two bed room). I checked with the Chancellor, but the cheapest I saw was $156 per night.

Anymore advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Ian

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

The Powell at Powell and Market (by the Powell St. cable car turn around) may be more in your price range if you want to stay near Union Square.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

Check with Wes Tyler direct at the Chancellor.

He wont mind and if he can help you , he will.

wtyler@chancellorhotel.com

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

The Powell actually didn't look that bad from the website, with decent prices. Unfortunately, it is full for the time I am there.

What are your thoughts on the Castle Inn?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

I would highly recommend the Castle Inn. It is in Russian Hill and while I may be partial because I live in the area, the neighborhood is lovely. It is out of the way, but still a good location and public transportation is a couple blocks away. You can acess the Hyde St. line by walking a few blocks. It isn't a luxury hotel (obviously) but it is very decent --especially for the price.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Get on cable car at Hyde and Lombard?

Saks,

Thanks!

How long of a walk is it to the cable car on Hyde, and can I board there going either way?

Time wise, to go from the door of the Castle Inn to Union Square, or to Fisherman's Wharf... what do you think? I am thinking walking time and cable car time.

Thanks again to all... very helpful information.

Cheers,

Ian

p.s. Good restaurants around the Castle Inn?