We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walk from 12th St. BART to JLS?

McMinnville...
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
walk from 12th St. BART to JLS?

Hi!

I posted this on the Oakland forum but I haven't gotten a response. I thought someone over here might know the answer! Thanks a bunch!

I'm planning my Bay experience for early January. Right now I'm trying to decide whether we should primarily use BART or drive to certain destinations. The night we get into Oakland, we were thinking of having dinner at Yoshi's in Jack London Square. My question is: Is it too far (unsafe at night or just too far) to walk from the 12th St. BART station to JLS?

Thanks in advance,

Marian

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: walk from 12th St. BART to JLS?

It can be done. Its a good walk and not very well traveled by others walking. I have done it with a small group. If there are two or less people, spend the $5-$7 as an insurance policy and take a cab.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walk from 12th St. BART to JLS?

Sorry- somehow I missed your first post.

Your choice of Yoshi's is great, especially if you can stay for a concert as well. However, it sounds as though you are coming straight from the airport? Or are you checking into a hotel near the airport? Because you certainly wouldn't want to walk from BART to JLS with a bunch of luggage!

However, sans luggage, it's certainly do-able. It's a flat, 12 block walk that takes about 15 - 20 minutes. You'll be walking down Broadway, which is a wide and busy thoroughfare downotwn, and you'll even walk past the police station at one point. The sidewalks will be rather quiet at night.

If you are used to an urban environment, I think you will be comfortable doing this. If you feel uncomfortable, there's always a cab.

If you are renting a car anyway, then this is a very easy place to get to by car, and there is a large and very safe parking garage adjacent to Yoshi's, that's also inexpensive. There's also lots of free street parking nearby. I am a female and have walked through JLS many times alone at night with no fears.

BTW, if you were coming from SF, the ferry is about a block away, but doesn't run late at night.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walk from 12th St. BART to JLS?

Hey, MacJack, does Oakland still have that downtown shuttle that runs between JLS and the 12th Street / Broadway area? It's been a long time since I've taken it, but, if the hours are right, it's kind of handy.

McMinnville...
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walk from 12th St. BART to JLS?

Thanks for all your help!

We're arriving earlier in the day, renting a car at the airport, and checking into a hotel in Walnut Creek. We were undecided as to whether we should ride the BART into Oakland and walk to JLS or just drive there and try to park. Since I've never been to the area, I have no idea what driving/parking conditions are like. Everything I read says that driving is a nightmare in San Francisco, but I figure it's probably a little better in Oakland.

Thanks again!

Marian

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: walk from 12th St. BART to JLS?

It's walkable. For me, it's like a 20 minute walk. It's a rather boring walk, with not much to see. You start in Downtown, go through Chinatown, under a freeway, and then past a bunch of warehouses until you get to Jack London Square. You'll be walking on a main street (Broadway). I can't say how safe it is to walk at night, as I only walk during the daytime.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: walk from 12th St. BART to JLS?

If you have a car and are in Walnut Creek, I would drive. It is a simple drive and parking is a breeze.