We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
291 posts
25 reviews
34 helpful votes
Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

Last time I was there, 5yrs ago, my real issue was the lack of decent public restrooms.

I would usually sneak into a Fast Food Chain Restaurant, but even then you were taking a chance.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
25,669 posts
2,768 reviews
2,491 helpful votes
1. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

There are the shopping malls, department stores such as Macys as well as fast food chains. I sometimes go into other hotels.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
24 reviews
103 helpful votes
2. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

I'm somewhat surprised by your comment that you couldn't find facilities 5 years ago. There are a number of self-cleaning public toilets (similar to the ones in Paris), about town (Fisherman's Wharf, Embarcadero Center, Washington Square, Union Square and probably more locations). As the previous poster indicated, the large department stores, the Warfield Center and large hotels would all have public facilities.

If you are in Golden Gate Park, the deYoung's bathrooms are in the public area and are quite clean. There are also facilities at Stow Lake which are a bit less "nice" but still clean.

The Warming Hut at Crissy Field has facilities also.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
3. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

The public bathrooms at Fishermans Wharf were great. They were nice and clean by the Sausalito Ferry wharf and the Alcatraz Ferry wharf too. Ferry Building had clean public facilities. It just wasn't an issue when we recently visited.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
150 helpful votes
4. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

Great Question! As one gets older this becomes more important. The Obvious is the many department stores/malls in the downtown area. I like Nordstrom's best. Also The Fairmont Hotel has excellent facilities.

Japantown's public restrooms live up to The Japanese reputation of cleanness.

As I have not been to the Wharf for a number of years I can not say about it but the Ferry Buildings often have long lines. I find in that area The Embarcadero is a better bet.

San Francisco is better served than many cities in this regard but as you stated There is always Mickey Dees if all else fails. Smile

Edited: 11:50 am, May 01, 2010
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

Having a pregnant wife with a small bladder keeps you on your toes here in SF. My go to spots: (I'm gonna have to be even more resourceful with a little girl on the way...)

- Hotel Lobbies (our favorites are the Palace, the Westin St. Francis, Hyatt Regency Embarcadero especially at Christmas...)

- Ghirardelli Square has a decent one hidden in their basement

- Free museums such as the Maritime Museum (Aquatic Park Bathhouse), the Wells Fargo History Museum, the Beach Chalet.

- Public Libraries are always a good bet, often marked on maps.

- Shopping Malls, Nordstrom has some nice ones in the upper levels at the San Francisco Center on Market. The higher you go in a mall, the better the restrooms, in my experience.

- For the road travelers: we've made stops at Costco's along the freeway... membership required... but they generally have good bathrooms. On the way to Tahoe for example there are at least 4-5 Costco's right next to the freeway, plenty of parking... and better than McDonald's or gas stations...

- Hospitals are not in touristy areas... but they always have white zones, have signs pointing their whereabouts, and are usually clean ;)

- If I have to pay... the ubiquitous Starbuck's all have them and I don't need much excuse to get a coffee... and house coffee's are under $2.

Edited: 12:08 pm, May 01, 2010
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
16 helpful votes
6. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

Depends.....

One of the few benefits the metastasized cancer of Starbucks has brought with them is bathrooms in almost all of their outlets. At least to me it seems perfectly logical to visit the bathroom (hand hygiene and creating space) before ordering and they don't seem to bat an eye about you marching in and using the facilities (and then realizing you don't have enough time for that vente gordo grande double-lard crappuchino with sprinkles and artificial sweetener). EDIT - I see MisterChinn's already been here.....

For reasons only comprehensible to The Schmoo (I suspect it's something in the fourth dimension that we don't see), The Schmoo has taken a great liking to the restrooms in the monster Old-Navy on Market at 4th. We can be shopping or wandering anywhere in the vicinity and The Schmoo will suddenly ask, "where's the Old Navy"?

MisterChinn also frequents J-Town so can add his vote, but in my book peddler665 is insulting the Japanese if he considers the public restrooms in J-Town to illustrate their idea of cleanliness. They're gross -- not Portsmouth Square bathroom gross (nor Y Ben House where I believe the next great cholera outbreak is going to originate), not Golden Gate Park restroom after a long weekend gross, but definitely not above a 5 on the clean-o-meter.

Edited: 1:35 pm, May 01, 2010
North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
291 posts
25 reviews
34 helpful votes
7. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

Most of those self-cleaning Public Toliets were either broken down or super scary when I was there.

One of the worst bathrooms I was ever in was a Starbucks, I wanna say near Chinatown. I felt so sorry for the poor kid who had to clean it.

Thanks MisterChinn for such a detailed list! I will be sure to use it for my trip in Sept.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,197 posts
204 reviews
123 helpful votes
8. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

Dare I mention, there's an app for that.

http://www.sitorsquat.com/sitorsquat/home/map

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
150 helpful votes
9. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

I see Caffine is continuing HIS TRADITION of attacking others post. Oh Well guess he needs it to make his life. Smile

Edited: 7:54 pm, May 01, 2010
10. Re: Public Restrooms ~ Where do you go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 29, 2010