We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years in SF

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
New Years in SF

I have visted California in the past when i was younger and am trying to plan a New Years Visit. We are both in our late 20's and have a lot of questions, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

- We will be flying into the SF airport and was wondering if it is worth renting a car. We would like to stay in Union Square. (From what I've read, this is where most everything is)

- Any hotel suggestions for under $200 that are in walking distance of public transportation, restaurants, shopping, etc.

- Is there public transportation to get to the Golden Gate and Alcatraz?

Thanks everyone :-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years in SF

No car needed.

Take a look at the Chancellor Hotel on Union Square if you are interested in European style, boutique hotel.

Buses, tours and renting bicylcles will get you to the Golden Gate Bridge. Alcatraz is a national park that is an island. The park fee includes ferry transportation from pier 41. Audio tours are extra. check out www.blueandgoldfleet.com That is the only way to get there. Buy your tickets in advance as soon as you know the dates.

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years in SF

What a great hotel suggestion!! The reviews are very positive and the location seems perfect. Any suggestions on how to get to the hotel from the airport? Are there any others things we should do while we are there? Also, is there anything special going on for New Years? (Parties, fireworks, etc)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years in SF

To get to the hotel from SFO:

Options:

Taxi $38-$45

Door to Door Share Ride Shuttle: $12-$14 each

www.sfovan.com

BART - Public Transit $4.50 each to Powell Street Station. Exit BART Station onto Powell Street and walk up 4 blocks to the hotel.

LIMO/Towncar $55-$65

The main San Francisco event on New Years is a no-alchohol street party and fireworks in the Embarcadero. Many other venues and restaurants have special parties and dinners. Take a look at these links. They still have last year's information, but they will give you an idea and you can check them as it gets closer.

sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/roundup/39168/

http://sanfrancisco.about.com/b/a/135188.htm

gayot.com/holiday/newyearsrestaurants_sf.html

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years in SF

Thank you so much for all the information!! I noticed on the Chancellor Hotel website the package deals that are available. Do you know if there is availability for the time we will be traveling? (Dec 29 - -Jan 2) I am really interested in the Best of the Bay package.

Thanks for your help.

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years in SF

Thank you so much for all the information!! I noticed on the Chancellor Hotel website the package deals that are available. Do you know if there is availability for the time we will be traveling? (Dec 29 - -Jan 2) I am really interested in the Best of the Bay package.

Thanks for your help.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years in SF

Yes, the package is available over those dates. Call the hotel directly.

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years in SF

Wes Tyler: I called the hotel and they said the Best of the Bay package was only available for Thursday night. Since we are flying in late that day, we were hoping to have the package the others days. Our travel dates again are 12/29 - 1/2.

Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years in SF

Sezthadei- Call back. I spoke to the reservations department and they will take your booking. Keep in mind, that New Year's Eve and New Year's Day (and the 2nd since the 1st is a Sunday), a lot of places/things may be closed. However, if you want it, you can have it.

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years in SF

Wes Tyler - thank you for taking the time to help me and answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

:-)

Fresno ca
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years in SF

Is there any thing going on In Union Square that any one knows of? Good bands or any place decent , my brother and i are headed there, Ages are mid Thirties . Any other out door parties besides the No Alcahol one?