We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Seafood Chowder in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Aust
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Best Seafood Chowder in San Francisco

Have been dreaming for years about having a bowl of seafood chowder in SF. Can I have suggestions as to the place to go for a great chowder? We will be visiting in April and staying at the Donatello but I'll travel anywhere to find it!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Seafood Chowder in San Francisco

Sotto Mare on Green just east of Columbus has clam chowder and great cioppino (more of a crab stew and a red sauce).

Chowders, however, are more typical of the New England parts of the US. We've just taken them on for our own.

Many visitors like the clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl at Boudin's at Fisherman's Wharf. If I told you I wouldn't be caught dead in the place, I'd be accused of being a snobby local ... so we'll just keep that between us :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Seafood Chowder in San Francisco

Here is another snobby 'almost local'. :~)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Seafood Chowder in San Francisco

Tadich Grill typically gets good reviews on their chowder, though I haven't tried it there.

My favorites would be at Swan Oyster Depot (only open at lunch), Hog Island Oysters, and at those touristy sidewalk stands lining Fisherman's Wharf.

Sydney, Aust
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Seafood Chowder in San Francisco

Thanks All. Will definitely try some of your suggestions.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Seafood Chowder in San Francisco

Not being a snobby local___LOL____I don't find anything wrong with Boudin's.

Here is a link to a similar post recently and if you do a search on this Forum asking "Seafood Chowder" or Clam Chowder" you will find lots of posts relating to this.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k319074…

6. Re: Best Seafood Chowder in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 21, 2010