We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! 6 days in SF area w/ a 1 year old...where to stay?

Moore, South...
1 post
Help! 6 days in SF area w/ a 1 year old...where to stay?

In mid April we plan to head to SF for a week to visit some family in Palo Alto, Mill Valley, and some vineyards in Napa &/or Sonoma. SF is ideal as a central location. Looking for an affordable ($150-$200/night) hotel with accessible food (any small grocery or cafe will do) within walking distance & safe surroundings. We will have our 1 year-old daughter with us so we're still getting used to all of her needs. My husband, daughter, & I are meeting up w/ 2 other active adults so walking isn't too much of an issue. Any or all advice regarding whether to rent a car or taxi-it, where to stay, where to grocery, etc would be greatly appreciated!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Help! 6 days in SF area w/ a 1 year old...where to stay?

Will your family be picking you up and providing transporation if you don't rent a car? By CA law, you will need a car seat for your child -- you can bring it with you and gate check it on the plane.

The Donatello has fairly large rooms and The Handlery's club rooms are large.

If you plan to rent a car to get around, then I would recommend something along the Lombard St. corridor where there is free parking, lots of cafes, grocery store and super market within walking distance. It also has excellent access to the Golden Gate Bridge for getting to Mill Valley and wine country. It's about 15 minutes south on Van Ness to get to the Central Freeway which dumps into 101 south for Palo Alto.

Along Lombard I'd recommend the Del Sol (they have a couple of small suites and it's half a block off Lombard and so is quieter), The Cow Hollow Inn and Coventry.

Another option would be to rent a one bedroom apartment. There are some in the Marina/Cow Hollow neighborhoods. This would give you a kitchen in addition to more room. www.vrbo.com

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
2. Re: Help! 6 days in SF area w/ a 1 year old...where to stay?

inf - Bacause you will be travelling to so many parts of the Bay Area, you will need a car. Please look into the Lombard corridor motels that offer free parking. You will find all the services you need nearby. While touring in the City it is best to leave the car and use transit.

3. Re: Help! 6 days in SF area w/ a 1 year old...where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 14, 2010