We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for nice place in december Carlton???

Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Looking for nice place in december Carlton???

Senn some nice reviews on here, but still lookin'.. like to stay around 150 with parking in area suitable for some touristy stuff, but more cultural, art, theatre and adult fun stuff, no kids, union square area.

thanks for the help.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for nice place in december Carlton???

The Carlton is several blocks from Union Square and not really near anything in my opinion.

Take a look at the following hotels. Similar to the Carlton, but better location and should be close in price:

The Chancellor Hotel on Union Square

The Maxwell*

Hotel Union Square

The Commodore* - half way closer

*operated by the same company as the Carlton.

Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for nice place in december Carlton???

I've stayed at the Carlton and prefer it to being stuck in the center of tourist land near Union Square. It's very reasonable and the staff are great. I walked to Union Square and to Japantown from the hotel. There are lots of restaurants on Polk, one block west. Just avoid the Tenderloin. There is a good reason why you see so much positive feedback about The Carlton.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for nice place in december Carlton???

I think its a bit out of the way.

For what you are interested in____why not stay right in Union Square.

Check out the Chancellor. chancellorhotel.com.

I think the rooms are better than the Carlton____the location is great and it should fall into your price range.

San Francisco
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for nice place in december Carlton???

Try the ORCHARD HOTEL on Bush and Powell. It's a boutique hotel, but not to expensive. I lived in the area for years, and my family would come out and stay there (as I lived in a studio apt there until this past Jan). The GM of the hotel is German, and quite friendly. There is a nice continental breakfast... but best of all are the QUIET rooms with exceptional bedding. You are close to everything you want, tourist stuff (Grace Catherdral, Union Sq, China Town).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for nice place in december Carlton???

If the Orchard is in the price range - take it! But I would be very surprised.

Level Contributor
35,446 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for nice place in december Carlton???

When we dined at Farallon in June, I wandered into the Inn at Union Square and poked around. Very nice, small boutique-style hotel and rooms go for $149/night or cheaper. You can do a word search for "inn at union square" for more info.

We will be spending more time in SF this summer, as my son's girlfriend was just accepted to an interior design school in Union Square. Let us know how it goes when you return from your trip! :)

San Francisco
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for nice place in december Carlton???

Hotel Diva on Geary Street. Very sexy and sleek. Rate packages I found to be worth it. Staff has been acceptional.

Close to everything, on Union Square. Great Theater District. Several options for dining, clubs, shopping. Plus its fabulous for the Holidays. All decorated.

Union Square is great for meeting people. A tourist and local hang out. Very relaxing. Hotel Diva has a great website, I found it full of information.