We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Thing

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One Thing

What is the one thing to do in SF that you would definately make sure you didnt miss???

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Thing

Do? Walk the Golden Gate Bridge.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Thing

Stroll along the Embarcadero from the baseball stadium to Levi's Plaza, then up the hill to see the murals in the lobby of Coit Tower.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Thing

A ride on the right front step of the Hyde Street Cable Car from Market Street to the Cannery.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One Thing

For me, I would walk from Powell and Market Street through Union Square, Chinatown, and North Beach (maybe even all the way to Fisherman's Wharf if you have the legs for it) and then take the cable car back. (Or start from Fisherman's Wharf and work your way back.)

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: One Thing

These are great!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Thing

I'd say all of the above- but of course you said only one thing!(notice, however, that many can be accomplished together. You can also speed up the process by renting a bike and going along the Embarcadero to the GG Bridge, which is my favorite)

But I have to add: EAT! This is a foodies paradise, so whenever you're here, eat something unique every day, and different from what you have at home. Include one world class restaurant, and sprinkle in small neighborhood joints that are one- of a-kind experiences. This forum is full of recommendations, so check it out!

Chicago
Level Contributor
690 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Thing

Grab an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista Cafe (across from the Cannery) at twilight and enjoy the view.

Chicago
Level Contributor
690 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Thing

And for another great view, walk up Telegraph Hill to Coit Tower.

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Thing

eat an italian meal in north beach, stroll through fisherman's wharf and have chowder in a bread bowl/hot fudge sundaes at ghiradelli, ride the cable car...

there's so much! i could never pick one thing. then there's of course walking the GG bridge, beach blanket babylon...

Hortonville...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Thing

We took a long walk from Ocean Beach, up past the Sutro Baths, along the bike/trail path towards the GG Bridge. ( Path ends at a place called "Land's End".

It was a good hike - and the view of the Bay Entrance and Ocean were great. Wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for the weather...

Probably not the #1 thing to not miss...but put it on your list if you have time & you enjoy scenic hikes.