We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel - Mark Hopkins or Park Hyatt?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel - Mark Hopkins or Park Hyatt?

Going back to SF in 3 weeks for anniversary...haven't been back since honeymoon 28 years ago. Have reservations at both hotels...can't decide. We don't plan to spend a lot of time in the room, but we want luxury when we are there. Leaning toward Park Hyatt due to offer, but is Nob Hill location so much better that we should go with Mark Hopkins?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel - Mark Hopkins or Park Hyatt?

I think the Park Hyatt is more luxurious, but in a different way. The Mark is going to have the old classic feel, which it is, and the Park is more modern-contemporary. The Mark is an old hotel and some characteristics of the old hotels can not be changed. The Park is only about 15 years old and has all of today's features. Why is Nob Hill such a better location? To me, it is kind of in the middle of the Wharf and Union Square and there is no purpose to stay there other than the view. What is on Nob Hill? The Park is the same thing. It is inbetween Chinatown and the Embarcadero, but more walkable to and from more places. I don't know what kind of deal you've got, but if you want to look at another hotel with luxury in a better location, look at the Campton Place.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel - Mark Hopkins or Park Hyatt?

> is Nob Hill location so much better

Yes!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel - Mark Hopkins or Park Hyatt?

Why?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel - Mark Hopkins or Park Hyatt?

I personally would stay at the Park Hyatt.

The Mark is a nice hotel, however I have heard that it's kind of been going downhill recently.

I don't think that the location is that bad. You can take the California Street Cable Car line and transfer to Powell to see things. It's easy to do.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel - Mark Hopkins or Park Hyatt?

Looks like you might have to decide what's more important to you: Look/feel and luxury. It depends on how you feel about that intangible thing -- ambience and -- in your case -- memory. Nob Hill feels San Francisco to me. The Financial District, even with the California line going through it, does not.

Whichever way you go, you can't make a bad decision here.