We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

My husband and I are heading over in September and need to work out how to best spend our 3 days in San Francisco.

I would like to do the following things, plus anything else that is a MUST do:

-Bike Golden Gate bridge and ferry back

-Alcatraz

-Union Square-shopping

-Fisherman's wharf

-The Full House houses, Lombard Street, Coit tower and any other must see sights.

Is it worth doing a tour to see some of the sights?

I really need suggestions as we just booked flights and I have to plan L.A, Anaheim, San Diego after this!

Oh, we are also hoping to do Yosemite for 1 night, but it may be booked out so that is also on the list.

Thanks,

Bettina

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

If you only have three days in San Francisco, are you planning on taking one of those for Yosemite? Hopefully that is part of the rest of your trip and not part of the San Francisco portion.

If I have a limited time in a city I like to do an overview tour of about three hours the very first thing, so that I can mark the places I want to explore in more depth. that way I do not miss the major sights and I also have a general sense of the geography of the city to plan my subsequent visits more efficiently.

Since you know you want to tour Alcatraz, make your reservations ahead of time for that.

Have a wonderful trip.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

Many great walking tours ... see www.sfcityguides.org

For booking Alcatraz: www.alcatrazcruises.com

The King Tut exhibit is at the deYoung. Timed tickets available at www.tutsanfrancisco.org

I agree with Puter's recommendation to do an overview tour first off.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

Yes, Yosemite is outside of the 3 days in S.F.

Thanks for the suggestion of a tour to begin with-that sounds like a good idea. I will do a search.

Do you know what time of the day is usually best in regards to biking the bridge? We are there end of Sep and I am not sure if fog is likely at that time, but want to be able to see something when we are up there!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

Generally, September is a fog-free month. Many people like to have lunch over in Sausalito so if you start out around mid-morning you'll get over about lunchtime.

Oakland
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

If you have a chance, you might enjoy Ferry Plaza (at the Ferry Building). It's a great place to people watch, enjoy the Bay, have a snack. Eat at the Slanted Door for lunch or dinner. If you get there about 11:00 a.m. for lunch, you may be able to get in without a reservation.

You don't mention any evening activities, but if you are interested in a very entertaining show, try to get tickets for the very famous "Beach Blanket Babylon" in North Beach.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

Seriously, do not stay at the Whitcomb. The area is unpleasant and I would not like to be out alone there after dark.

The Diva is only a block and a half from Union Square. I would change my reservation.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

OOPS erase, erase. You are not, I think, the person who was going to stay at the Whitcomb. But don't stay there, anyway :~)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

haha-not me.Thanks for the tip though!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

Maybe you and your husband might be interested in going to the theatre during your visit to SF? I've just spent 3 days in SF in May and we went to see Wicked at the Orpheum Theatre. (yes its now on in Sydney but hey! we were in SF!!).

Suggest do a web search to see what's on at theatres in SF during your 3 days in Sept?

A tour would be a good idea, maybe for your first day so you get an idea of where things are etc. We did that on our first day, Urban Safari Tour.

Also book your Alcatraz tickets before you leave and take/wear warm clothing!

Good luck!

10. Re: How would you spend 3 days in S.F?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 29, 2009