We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper attire for Cliff House?

fort worth, texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Proper attire for Cliff House?

After a Tuesday at the De Young Museum, we would like to eat at Cliff House.

Sutros take reservations, which is reassuring, but the Bistro does not, which might be dicey.

If we choose Sutros, will our tourist attire be acceptable, especially my Nikes?

Thanks.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proper attire for Cliff House?

I posted on another thread about this but the food at Sutro's gets very mixed reviews (yelp.com/biz/sutros-at-the-cliff-house-san-f…), which is somewhat surprising since George Morrone of Fifth Floor took over the kitchen.

I don't think they'd mind Nikes, not sure what your definition of "tourist attire" is. Even on a sunny day (which we've had lately), out at the ocean it's not generally shorts and tank top weather. Other than that, anything would be fine.

I ate at the Bistro a few months back and the food was casual but pretty good (the pop-overs were *really* good). Even that was expensive ($20+ for a crab omelette) but the view was great. However, with the Tut opening, there will probably be a crush of people. Perhaps get a reservation at Sutro's and when you get there see how long the wait is for the Bistro.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Proper attire for Cliff House?

We had lunch at Sutro's during Winter Dine About Town. I wore a sportcoat and jeans and my family dressed about the same. There were a bunch of people who were more dressed down than me. Your sneakers shouldn't be a problem (as long as you don't put them on the table ;-)).

The redesigned space is beautiful. We thought the food was very good. It's probably falls short of the very top places in town but it's definitely a cut above the usual tourist spots.

3. Re: Proper attire for Cliff House?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 20, 2009