We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather - What to Wear

Lakeland, FL
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Weather - What to Wear

Will be in San Francisco June 29 through July 3. I see that the weather is usually high 60's during the day and 50's at night. Not sure what to wear. High 60's at home (Florida) can be really nice if it's sunny. Please help!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather - What to Wear

The answer every local will give you is....layers.

The city has micro-climates, so you will want to be able to put on a light sweater over a blouse or t-neck and, depending upon where you are, maybe even a fleece over that. Most people don't wear shorts, or even sandals.

(We don't have humidity, even when it is warm.)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather - What to Wear

I'd agree with the recommendation for layers. I faced the same dilema when we went in April. Until I read the advice, I wouldn't have thougth it could get as cool as it does.

Taking the advice, I did not pack any sandles or shorts. Other than our trip to Napa/Sonoma - I would have never worn them and even there I was still comfortable in jeans, a light top and shoes.

Most days, we started out with socks and shoes, a t-shirt or light long sleeved shirt covered up with a polar fleece and a wind breaker - when the wind comes up off the ocean, it is cold. Some days we didn't take off much of the layers. At night, we never went out without a jacket. On the bright side, if you don't take enough warm stuff, there seems to be shops at every street corner that sell the famous SF polar fleeces and wind breakers at quite reasonable prices - they also make a nice souvenir.

If you look through the forum you will see that expert after expert recommending the layers in SF. Take their advice, we were glad we did.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather - What to Wear

I think summertime visitors have a difficult time getting their mind around wearing a fleece in June, July or August. But it's true! I've talked to so many people who say "I never thought it would be this cool."

Put those short sleeved t-shirts away, those shorts too! And never mind with sandals.

You'll need good shoes for walking (which you'll do a lot of), jeans, long sleeved shirts (I wear turtle necks year round) and a sweater or jacket.

New York
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather - What to Wear

Think COLD..not chilly! Especially at night on the water! We recently made the mistake of thinking chllly is warm...we ended up shopping for sweaters, jeans and windbreakers!

Bring hooded jackets, sweaters, long pants, scarves, etc. especially if you taking ferry rides!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather - What to Wear

Amen to that,some people think it's California it must be warm,wrong!

Lakeland, FL
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather - What to Wear

Thanks so much for the advice! I can see that I would have packed all wrong. :)Looking forward to the trip.

California
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather - What to Wear

Well, it really depends on YOU! Do you get cold easily?? I've been to the Bay Area many times in June, July, and August and even when it's in the 60's, I never needed layers or a jacket or sweater during the day. But that's me and it's usually because I don't get cold easily. Now at night, it was a different story!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather - What to Wear

I was in SF last November during the big heat wave and was very glad that I brought a pair of capris with me.

Good walking shoes are highly recommended. The hills can be killer.

Lakeland, FL
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather - What to Wear

Yes, I do tend to get cold easy. My husband will probably be fine. I don't really have a decent jacket (since one is rarely needed in FL), but I do have some fleece pullovers I can bring. Layers sounds like the way to go. And sneakers!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather - What to Wear

San Franciscans really do not wear shorts unless we're doing sports. On my vacation in Florida last December, the others in my sailing class teased me because I changed into long pants as soon as we returned to land each day.