We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my Itinerary

UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Help with my Itinerary

I've compiled a list of places I want to go, restaurants I want to eat in etc, now I need to get them in geographical area - i organise which are close to eachother to minimise time spent travelling around - I just cant get a good grip on area from reading a guidebook.

Any help appreciated, I'm arriving on Oct 7th - 16th, and staying at the Grant Hotel near Union Sqaure.

List of places to see below (its long) so thanks for any help on which order to do them in.

Bank of America Building nearby @ 550 California Street p108

TransAmerica Pyramid – 600 Montgomery Street (p111) nearby

Embarcadero Centre p112

Shops and building, also has a viewing platform

Chinatown p118

Grant Avenue – main street

Stockton Street Markets – p120

North Beach p125

Sentinel Building p126

Lombard Street p132 (worlds crookedest street)

Fishermans Wharf p135 and Alcatraz Tour (touristy shops and seaside)

Pier 39 – sealions

USS Pampanito Submarine – p137

Ripleys believe it or not museum p138

Pacific Heights & Japan Town p141

Filmore Street – shopping

The Mission p150

Mission Street – shops

24th Street – good for a walk

Fort Point p154

For Golden Gate bridge views

Baker Beach nearby – p154

The Richmond p155

New Chinatown, Russia town and other ethnic mixes

Good place for Chinese

Golden Gate Park p157

Japanese Tea Garden

Bison Padock

Golden Gate Bridge p162

Alcatraz p163

Food

The tenderloin – Vietnamese p195

Liguria, p205 – north beach

All American breakfast p214

The Richmond – new Chinatown p222

Mentioned in this post
The Grant Hotel
The Grant Hotel
1,085 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Richmond
Richmond
California
CocoaBella
Gift & Specialty Shops
Libreria Pino
Gift & Specialty Shops
Stonehouse Olive Oil
Gift & Specialty Shops
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with my Itinerary

All the places you listed to visit sound good! I would skip the Richmond district. The "new Chinatown" is only along a short stretch of Clement street and doesnt really compare to the real Chinatown.

Also the viewing deck at Embarcadero Center has been closed for some time.

Also Lombard street is not the crookedest street in the world and not even in San Francisco for that matter. Vermont Street between 20th and 22nd Streets on Potrero Hill has more bends than Lombard Street. Unfortunately it is not located in as scenic a place as Lombard so it remains in relative obscurity.

Do check out the USS Pampanito as well as the SS Jeremiah O'Brien (involved in ferrying troops and supplies in the D day invasion)

While checking out the Mission district (where I live) I suggest taking BART to 16th and Mission. Walk north 1 block to Valencia and then turn left and stroll along Valencia which is home to lots of funky stores, restaurants, and bars. When you get to 24th Street turn right and hike up the hill a few blocks to Noe Valley where you will find more upscale neighborhood shops. When you get to Castro, turn around and walk back to the Mission District along 24th street to Potrero and then turn around and walk back to to Mission street and then walk Mission street back to the BART station at 16th.

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
California
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Potrero
Potrero
California
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with my Itinerary

One more thing...

Skip the Ripleys Believe it or Not museum. It is a rip off and you wont believe you paid money for such crap!

Chicago
Level Contributor
690 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with my Itinerary

Agree totally with not going to Ripley's.

You will love the Liguria Bakery, but check with them before you go because they close early: 415 421 3786

While you're in Golden Gate Park take a minute and check out the newly restored conservatory of flowers--it's beautiful.

Don't forget to go into the Ferry Building while you're in the Embarcadero.

Mentioned in this post
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with my Itinerary

Another thing...

Fort Point is a great view of the Golgen Gate Bridge (its right underneath it) but Baker Beach isn't really that close. Baker Beach does offer some great views from the west side it would be a bit of a hke to get there. You can take the 29 bus from the bridge to Baker Beach. Be aware that the north side of the beach (towards the bridge) is a nude beach frequented by gay men

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,596 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with my Itinerary

I disagree with the advice to skip the "new Chinatown" It is the real deal there, without the touristy kitch that you'll find in the Chinatown area. Chez Mai has excellent food and Burma superstar is a real hit these days if you are looking for something different. I wouldn't dream of visiting SF without a stop at Green Apple books and the Bargain Bank is often worth a peak, as are the Asian grocery and restaurant supplies.

Skip Ripley's Believe it or Not!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with my Itinerary

The area on Clement street is the real deal as the poster above said but I wouldnt go out of my way and take a 45min bus ride to get there when you can find the same thing closer to your hotel in Chinatown

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with my Itinerary

Bank of America, Transamerica, Chinatown, North Beach are all within proximity to each other. These are walkable from Union Square.

Lombard St is really not in North Beach itself and is accessible off the HYDE St cable car line. The terminus of this line is Aquatic Park, next to Fisherman's Wharf. So you can walk down the hill and a bit more to get to the wharf if you wish.

The Wharf has Ripley's, Submarine, Alcatraz tours, nearby is Pier 39 with the sea lions.

The Mission is an area to itself.

The area around the GG Bridge has Ft. Point, Ft Baker beach,

You could incorporate this with the GG Park, or do this other group separately. The bison are in the west end (around 41st Ave, closer to the ocean, while the Japanese Tea Garden is closer to the eastern edge (9th Ave) Not far from here is the Richmond district

Pac Hgts/ Japan Town is kind of a separate area, also.

Embarcadero Centers are near the waterfront and Ferry Building. You might try the Vietnamese at Slanted Door. You can catch the F to Pier 39/wharf, or walk along the Embarcadero from there. You could take a ferry to Sausalito from the Ferry Bldg as well.

It depends on how much time you wish to spend in each area as to how much you can pack in. you are likely to find surprises along the way.

Be sure to watch the skies and the bay since it will be fleet week while your here. Blue Angels are great.

http://www.fleetweek.us/fleetweek

Mentioned in this post
Richmond
Richmond
California
The Embarcadero
The Embarcadero
829 Reviews
San Francisco, CA