We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angel Island

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
392 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Angel Island

Hello I've been to alcatraz on a previous visit but heard lots about Angel Island, can anyone tell me where it is, how you get there and what there is to do there?

thanks

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,012 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angel Island

It is in the Bay, you take a ferry there (red and white fleet, I believe) and you can picnic, hike or even camp out on the island.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angel Island

Angel Island had been used as a military garrison during the civil war and both world wars. It also housed German pows during WWII. It also served as a quarantine and immigration station in the earlier part of the 1900's. You can take a ferry from Fisherman's Wharf or Tiburon to get there. There is a 5 mile trail that will take you around the island where you can see the old military barracks and immigration and detention facilities. There is a small museum and you can also rent bikes on the island.

Here is the website for more info

http://www.angelisland.org

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angel Island

Well, that pretty well covers it, but I should add that you can get some of the best views of the enire bay, the GG Bridge and the city from there. It's a fun place to spend the day on a warm Indian summer day.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angel Island

You can even camp on Angel Island, though clearly it's not a car-camping kind of place! The Red & White Fleet leaves on a pretty regular schedule from ... I think Pier 33 1/2 (very close to Pier 39).

You can bring your bikes on board if you like to ride.