We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tonga Room or Top of the Mark

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
394 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Tonga Room or Top of the Mark

Hello

Off to SF in March for our second visit and already planning!!

We want to have a nice dinner / drinks with a view, I've heard the Top of the mark has good views but does anyone know about the Tonga room. Also, what is the atmosphere like in both, we want a nice but not too formal time.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tonga Room or Top of the Mark

Two VERY different types of places.

Top of the Mark____sophisticated - dressy - great views - lots of character and history associated with the room and hotel.

Tonga Room____Crazy - kitsch - tropical theme - much more relaxed and with a great happy hour every day from 5 to 7pm I think.

I like them both but for different occasions.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tonga Room or Top of the Mark

Forgot to mention - there is no view at Tonga Room except for thunderstorm that happens in the centre of the place on a regular basis !

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,005 posts
5,925 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tonga Room or Top of the Mark

easy to do both in an evening.

Monday - Friday Tonga Room has a great happy hour from 5:00 - 7:00

The Happy Hour includes an extensive buffet of Pacific Rim delicacies with items such as spare ribs, vegetable chow mein, pork buns, pot stickers, chicken drummettes, cheese, fresh fruits and crudités. The all-you-can-eat buffet is aonly $7 per person with a one drink minimum. cocktails at Happy Hour prices.

Then walk across the street (i.e. cross the crosswalk) and you will be at the Top of the Mark. Ride to the top for a sunset view over San Francisco....

Enjoy!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tonga Room or Top of the Mark

As another poster said, it's quite easy to do both.

Although if you're going to choose one or the other, I'd personally go with Top of the Mark. It's just classy and dressy and the views are wonderful. The martini bar is pretty good in my opinion.

Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tonga Room or Top of the Mark

Hello there,

I just got back from our trip to San Fran. I cannot speak for the top of the Mark - we did not get a chance to go there but we did go to the Tonga Room. We just missed the happy hour and tried to rush up to grab some last food and the waiter was very rude. It was not a very friendly place to begin with. The storm was interesting to see though. Happens approx. ever 1/2 hour. I would try Top of the Mark though.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tonga Room or Top of the Mark

Personally, I am a big fan of the Redwood Room.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tonga Room or Top of the Mark

Neither, unless you are senior citizens. Both are overpriced and tacky. Julius Castle, near coit tower, also has great views, and is similarly overpriced.

If you insist on a place with a view, try the recently renovated Cliff House at the end of Geary, facing the Pacific ocean. The food is tolerable, the views are fantastic. Or for an even better option, reserve a table at the Slanted Door in the ferry building(great views of the Bay).

Or eat at one of the dozens of fine establishments that do not have a view, and then visit the Starlite Room or Top O the Mark for a drink. Trust me, you'll enjoy your meal and you can spend your savings on those overpriced drinks later.