We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Danbury, Connecticut
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

Hi! My husband and I are hoping to travel to San Fransisco to see the sights as we have never been. We're big fans of "So I married an axe murderer" although this is NOT our primary reason for going- we've always been intrigued by the area.

My question is, are there any funky or out-of-the-ordinary accommodations in the area? We always enjoy those experiences from themed bedrooms to treehouses to log cabins, etc. I know that it's asking a bit much but just wondering....

Thanks for any help!

Stacey

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

Well, "themed bedrooms" made me think of the Casa Madrona in Sausalito, whihc is built on a steep hilside overlooking the bay. Each bedroom isdecorated with a different theme. It's a bit pricey and not in SF, but only a ferry/bike ride or short drive form the city.

Chicago
Level Contributor
690 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

The Joie de Vivre Hospitality group operates a number of boutique type hotels in and around San Francisco and northern CA. You might want to check these out:

http://www.jdvhospitality.com/

The Kimpton group also operates a number of boutique hotels in the area, including these in Union Square:

Union Square

Hotel Monaco

Monticello Inn

Hotel Palomar

Prescott Hotel

Sir Francis Drake

Hotel Villa Florence

Hotel Serrano

No log cabins or treehouses, though.

Check out hotel reviews on this site once you've come up with a preliminary list.

There are a lot of good hotels in the city, it depends on where you want to stay, what you want to do, your budget and what's important to you. Union Square will give you the best transporation options for getting around.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

The Triton Hotel is the original "quirky" or "funky" hotel. It is a Kimpton hotel located at Grant and Bush. I don't necessarily recommend the hotel, but it is probably the most unusually decorated. They have theme suites such as Jerry Garcia suite and I think a Carlos Santana suite. Check them out and see if that is what you are looking for. The lobby is like Alice in Wonderland on crack (in a good way).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

Don't forget the Rid Victorian on Haight street!

http://www.redvic.com/

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

Hey Wes Tyler GM - Why dont you recommend the Triton? Just wondering! Thanks.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

When I say I don't recommend it, I also don't say not to stay there. I think the experience someone will have is hit or miss and the reviews tell the story. But, if someone wants funky decor, that is the Triton.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

I like the Triton, it is crazy and wacky. I agree with Wes. The staff support is hit and miss. However, the rooms were terrific and after a serious argument with the manager the next day over our "free parking" we thought we had from a special on-line she agreed and we had a perfect trip. Also, it is next to the quaint and unique French restaurants in the little alleys nearby. My favorite area. And only a few blocks to Union Square and across the street to China Town. Perfectly located, which is a big plus.

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Unique San Fransisco Accommodations?

Yes, the pic's of the triton look very wackey and kool but then the reviews are not so good.