We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in North Beach area?

NW New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Hotel in North Beach area?

Hubby and I are going to SF next April (April 17-23, possibly).

This might be strange, but I'm actually trying to find a hotel/inn near a pub - O'Reilly's at 622 Green Street. (We're beer snobs, and yes, there are some truly distinct, world class beers out there!)

Anyway, the only place so far that I've found that's not too far away (as we're not going to be driving, except maybe outside SF) is a place called the Washington Square Inn. Only found 1 review so far - albeit a bad one - but I don't want to dismiss it because of 1 review. Are there any other hotels/inn in that vicinity (North Beach? Correct me if I'm wrong! ;-)) in the $100-$160 range? Also, would need a cable car/BART/bus stop fairly close by - esp. bus stop, because we'll be going to the Anchor Brewery at some point.

Thanks for any help/ideas!!

san francisco
4 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel in North Beach area?

Ok first off let me start by saying that I live in this neighborhood. I actually live around the corner from O'reilly's so I have the best insight to this area. I would say look into The Hotel Boheme. It's about a block away from O'reilly's and it's located right on Columbus Ave. in between Vallejo and Green St's. It's a cool little spot and in totally in the midst of the Broadway experience. It is located just above Calzon's which is a great resturant and surrounded by other restaurants, cafe's and about a half dozen strip clubs. It puts you about 2 blocks away from the Mason/Powell cable car line. You can catch the 30 or the 45 bus lines, one block away, which will take you directly to union sqaure or the 15 right on columbus which will take you directly to fisherman's warf. The 45 going in the oposite direction will take you to Union where there is plenty of shopping opportunities available and into the fillmore district. What else would you like to know? I can give you any additional info you may need. Just let me know. The hotel has a web site and more info can be found on this web site, there are 8 reviews from others who have stayed there before. all mostly positive. Aside from this hotel and the one you mentioned there aren't many other options in North Beach that I would say fall into your price range.

As a side note there's also another Irish pub in the area called Kell's. Many of the locals enjoy that place as well as O'reilly's. That would be about 4-6 blocks away from the hotel and O'reillys.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel in North Beach area?

"...It's about a block away from O'reilly's and it's located right on Columbus Ave. in between Vallejo and Green St's...."

That would put it on the busiest street in a very busy neighborhood.

I don't know the hotel, but double check to make sure you can get the level of quiet you need for a good night's sleep.

If it were me, I would call and ask the hotel directly about any early am disturbances from garbage collectors, street cleaning, and/or deliveries.

Point Pleasant, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel in North Beach area?

Fellow Jersey Girl,

I was just in SF last month. I have heard of O'Reilly's. I did not go in the Washington Square Inn, but you cannot beat the location. It is overlooking the square. i stayed in the Union Square area and walked to Union Square and that was about 30 minutes. Fisherman's Wharf is definitely a possibility, but like the other post says it is very touristy.

I belong to a beer club, so " I ah feel your pain".

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel in North Beach area?

can i suggest a couple of other spots with great beer?

the Beach Chalet is a restaurant & brewery located where golden gate park meets the pacific ocean. they have great food handcrafted beers and live music on occaision. http://beachchalet.com

Gordon Biersch, founded in the Bay Area, is another restaurant/brewery. this successful restaurant chain hasn't made it all the way to the east coast. so you might want to check out their location on the sf embarcadero waterfront, with a view of the bay bridge. the crowd is lively and the food is matched well with the beer. www.gordonbiersch.com/restaurants/index.html

Thirsy Bear is a really trendy brewery/restaurant with great beer and a "small plates" menu. it's located south of market across the street from the W hotel. dinner can segway into dj dancing and playing pool on the weekends. http://www.thirstybear.com/

There is one other place to get great, fresh beer in north beach, the San Francisco Brewing Company. It's in a historic location.

Enjoy!