We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

off leash dog park for small dogs?

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
off leash dog park for small dogs?

Hi all...

I've gotten all sorts of great advice on places to eat...neighborhoods to avoid.... parks to play in....and all sorts of stuff to do. Thanks again everybody for all your great advice.

One last question though before we hit the airport this Monday morning...

Does anybody know if any of the local dog parks have special areas/days/or hours for small (under 20 lbs.) dogs? Most of our dog parks here do. Ya'll have been so great to link me to the websites of some of the local dog friendly places and parks, but I can't seem to find an answer on this one.

Okay... make that one more last question....

What about a doggy day care place and/or groomer that anybody has personally tried out for their poochy? We plan to keep our pup with us most of the time, but there will be a few restaurants and things we want to get to where he won't be welcome. Poor Yoda... I'll bring him a doggy bag though - I promise!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: off leash dog park for small dogs?

There's a place by 4th and Bryant- in an alley behind Bryant- called K-Nine to 5, which is a doggie day care. I work near there sometimes and it looks very nice. I use Happy Hound here in Oakland, and they have a little doggie area, but I think it would be a bit far for you to travel for day care.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: off leash dog park for small dogs?

Try this link, and related links on the page. Yoda hardly looks like a pug, but I'd guess he wouldn't outsized at a gathering at pugs at the first park:

…ktvu.com/recreation/…dog_parks2.html

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: off leash dog park for small dogs?

nrh....

We have 2 dachshunds, so we know about wanting to keep the smalls dogs away from the big dogs sometimes. We just adopted our little girls a few months ago, and we have yet to find a dog park in the city that has a separate run for the small dogs. Luckily our little ones aren't too afraid of the big dogs...they apparently latched on to a great dane at their foster home!! It's funny sometimes to see the big dogs who are afraid of the little ones...I'm sure that's happened with Yoda a few times.

As for the doggy day care recommendation, I have never personally used one (I know you wanted a referral from someone with personal experience), but my roommate works for a nonprofit agency here in SF that assists animals and their guardians and she's got all the connections. She knows the owners of Fog City Doggie Day Care and says they are great people. They are located on Lombard St. in the Marina district.

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: off leash dog park for small dogs?

Macjack...Thanks for the head's up on K9 to 5. I don't think that's too far from our hotel, so I'll definitely buzz by there and see what Yoda thinks about the idea. He is actually quite capable of staying alone in the hotel room, I'm just not 100% certain what the hotel's policy about that is. The W actually gives you a "dog in room" door sign so the maid service is careful not to a)send anybody in that is scared of dogs and b) doesn't accidentally let you dog out of the room. The Monaco does pretty much the same thing, but 4 Seasons flips out if they see you leaving without your pup in tow. I guess they've had a sofa or two eaten or something. It's a shame how some irresponsible owners ruin things for the rest of us.

Betterthanbings....Yoda's first cousin (my brother's dog), Chloe, is a Pug and he would love nothing more than to hang out with a whole pack of them. He thinks Chloe is BEAUTIFUL! :) Bummer that we won't be there on Sunday though. We're coming in tomorrow morning and have to leave on Friday. It's a "work" trip and they expect my hubby to leave promptly after the work is done.

Krslong....You and your roomy sound like great "doggy" people. We do foster care for Lab rescue every chance we get and have a big black Lab and a medium sized Jack Russell at home, so Yoda is used to hanging with the big guys. I don't know if you have this problem with your Dachsies, but Yoda has NO concept of his size... NONE whatsoever and I've found that there is always a dog or two at the big dog park that is just too rough. We've never encountered another doggy that wanted to eat him or anything, but some of the big ones don't know how big they are any more than Yoda doesn't know how small he is. He has a luxating patella (knee pops out) and a playing body slam can send him to the emergency vet for days. Poor Yoda. We're lucky that our Lab is such a sweet girl. She's extra gentle with him and very careful and will actually put herself in between him and our Jack if she thinks they're playing too rough. Maybe one of the doggy day care places your roommate and Macjack recommended will prove to be a good solution - that or maybe they or the hotel concierge will know a good pet sitting service that will stay in the room with him if they don't want him there alone.

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: off leash dog park for small dogs?

Hey all. We just got home. Everybody had a great time on our trip - especially Yoda. The nearest grassy areas to our hotel turned out to be Yerba Buena Gardens and Union Square. We managed to hand out at the gardens for about 15 minutes or so on the first day before a security gaurd politely informed us that Yoda was not welcome in the park. Bummer. Union Square didn't have that much grass, but it was only a problem at lunch time. I felt a little guilty (in spite of being well supplied with poopy bags) about letting Yoda potty next to all the people sitting on the steps and eating their lunches, but when a dogs gotta go.... We learned to avoid lunch time and Yoda learned that it was okay to potty next to the curb because it was a long crowded walk to get to the park when he really had to go bad. We had a great time walking around and shopping. I didn't have any problems taking him into any stores and a lot of restaurants were happy to let us sit outside on the patio. The only place that kicked us out was Staryucks...which was sort of weird because the one next to our house here keeps a box of biscuits on the counter for the doggy regulars. We made it over to Golden Gate park, but Yoda was a little intimidated by the big dogs at the off leash area (and I was concerned about the lack of fence) so we walked a bit but didn't mingle. At Pier 39, it took about an hour or so, but he learned that the sea lions weren't going to eat him and he could stop barking at them. Our only scare (besides the taxi rides!!) was when Yoda stopped on a walk to smell what we both thought was a pile of garbage and it turned out to be a homeless person that tried to grab him. Eeeek! All in all we had a great trip and are looking forward to returning some time when we have more time to explore. Thanks for sharing your great city with us.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: off leash dog park for small dogs?

nrh,

I was hoping you would all have a great time. Too bad about YB gardens not being dog-friendly, but it sounds like you made do!

Did you make it to the arcade?

Glad to hear from you,

H&S

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: off leash dog park for small dogs?

Welcome back! Thanks for the update. And I recently found out that Alameda- a city over here by Oakland- has a dog park right on the bay that has a little doggie run. Oh well- you'll know for next time!