We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast places in SF

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast places in SF

I'm looking for a great place for breakfast in SF, preferably in the Union Square area but can be elsewhere. It will be for a Monday morning. I'd really like something different and special. Hard to make eggs all that special, I suppose, but you never know. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast places in SF

regular breakfast places are Lori's Diner on Powell and Sutter or Cafe Mason on the 300 block of Mason at Offarrell. There is Dottie's Cafe on 522 Jones at Post/ Geary (415) 885-2767. Also, Red's Java House which is a blue collar place with a great view of the bay bridge, Pier 30 foot of Bryant St at Embarcdero.

I also like Pat's Cafe at 2330 Talyor at Columbus.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast places in SF

Dottie's True Blue Cafe and Sears Fine Foods. Those would be my picks. I went to the latter to celebrate after my boyfriend was sworn in as a citizen at the Masonic Auditorium on Nob Hill (damn ceremony was earrrrrlllly in the morning).

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast places in SF

I also agree with "BetterThanBings": Dottie's and Sears (nothing to do with the department store):

Dottie's True Blue Cafe

522 Jones Street (between Geary and O'Farrell)

San Francisco, CA 94102-2008

telephone: (415) 885-2767

Sears Fine Foods

439 Powell Street (between Post and Sutter)

San Francisco, CA 94102-1503

telephone: (415) 986-0700

Both are casual places. I liked the food a little better at Dottie's.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast places in SF

Thanks, everyone. I just realized that the Monday we'll be there is Labor Day, so I'll have to make some calls to see if they'll be open.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast places in SF

PGDenizen,

They both should be open. They'd miss out on a lot of business if they didn't. Sears is the touristy breakfast place, but Dotties is the spot for a really good meal. However, it's in the Tenderloin, not the best area of town. However, if you make the trip out there, the food's worth it. And also, the line's really long, esp. on the weekends.

South Shields UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast places in SF

Loris Diner is a must do! it is a bit tacky but does a great breakfast as does the Restaurant a couple of doors up Powell Street from the Chancellor Hotel. I forget its name but Wes Tyler is sure do know and he posts all the time on this site.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast places in SF

Keefbeer,

Do you mean the Cafe Andre at Hotel Rex? (Next to Chancelor)

It is pretty good. I like the Brioche French Toast there.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast places in SF

OOPS!!! I was thinking of Campton Place, not Chancellor. Sorry all. I was incorrect. Still enjoy breakfast at Cafe Andre. But not close to the Chandellor.