We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February weather?

USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
February weather?

We're planning to go somewhere for about 6 days in February and SF is high on our list. But I think it's the rainy season. Could one of the locals let me know? We'd like to visit Alcatraz and the Explorateum, North Beach, and maybe cycle across the Golden Gate into Sausalito.

TIA

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,115 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February weather?

We can't predict weather, but Feb is generally rainy throughout California, particularly San Francisco.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February weather?

It is the "rainy season" but you never know. When it's not rainy in February the weather can be gorgeously bright and brisk -- great touring weather.

Don't know where you're from or how far you're coming from. But all the things you're looking to do can be wonderful on a winter SF day!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,204 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February weather?

wunderground.com has a Trip Planner tool that is really useful to plan vacations. However, I don't know how accurate it really is; perhaps a local can look at the summary & let you know. Sometimes the weather station is 10 or 20 miles from the chosen destination.

Feb 10-24

The Average High Temperature is 58 F with a historical range of 48 F to 75 F

The Average Low Temperature is 47 F with a historical range of 37 F to 57 F

There is a 55% chance of a Precipitation Day.

There is a 47% chance of a Cloudy Day.

I spent January - March 1991 in San Francisco when my baby daughter had a liver transplant. The weather was wonderful.

airtahoe
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: February weather?

I live here in SF ccipups and it is always rainy and wet. Not the best time to visit, but I am sure you can make the best of it. Bring an umbrella and you should be fine.

North Beach is great!!!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: February weather?

It isn't a year for El Nino, so weather should be the "usual" Northern California winter - clear and cool unless a storm blows in off the Pacific.

Winter rains come in discrete storms lasting a few days and then the weather clears again. If you're here during a storm, you'll get wet. If not, bring sunglasses.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February weather?

I have to respectfully disagree with previous poster who said it's "always rainy and wet" in February. This makes it sound like monsoon season! As last poster indicated the storms come in one by one and are separated by lovely clear, cool days.

Actually I've heard that this winter is predicted to be a "dry" one on average. That certainly doesn't mean you won't have some wet weather but if you're traveling in the Northern Hemisphere in February you're going to have to expect "weather" of some kind.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
245 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: February weather?

We've had several dry winters lately. Last year was pretty dry save for January, when it rained practically every single day (no fun for those of us who commute by bus). It's hard to predict the weather, but you would certainly find plenty to do even if it rains.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
141 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: February weather?

I have to agree that February is not really rainy every day - that's January, and some very odd Februaries. I would say February tends to be more of a 40% rainy (tops), but with shorter storms than Jan. But still, it is one of our more unpredictable months...

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: February weather?

While its certainly true that Feb is in the rainy season, its also the case that Feb is the beginning of Spring in the Bay Area. So while it might be cold and rainy, it might also be warm and sunny. If you're coming from a cold weather area, the weather in SF is likely to be better than the weather at home, especially as what we consider cold here starts at 55. (One Feb, friends from Chicago insisted on bbqing and eating outside because 50 degrees in Feb seemed like al fresco dining weather to them.) I don't want to minimize the chance of rain, and its certainly not Miami weather in Feb, but you might enjoy it more than July when it will be cold and foggy when you're expecting warmth.

USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: February weather?

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies. Intermittent rain is no problem so I think SF will be a good choice. We'll be coming from Denver, where by February I'm sick to death of cold and snow. If we had more than 6 days we'd probably head to some destination closer to the equator.

We'll bring a flexible attitude, clothes for layering, and a couple of those pathetic compact umbrellas that are entirely satisfactory for Denver rainstorms!