We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go Cars or Segway Tour?

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
699 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Go Cars or Segway Tour?

Hi, I have heard of these two ways of touring San Francisco. Which one would you recommend as better in terms of enjoyment?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,691 posts
5,812 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go Cars or Segway Tour?

Segways are super fun.....the go cars just look too small and vulnerable (although people have enjoyed them when they took them.). I think go cars would be better in a less "traffic" city than San Francisco.

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go Cars or Segway Tour?

Hi mini,

Thanks very much for your reply. I really appreciate all your helpful posts on this site. :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go Cars or Segway Tour?

It looks like the Segways are a guided group type tour. I have seen them travelling in single file. They seem to only be around the waterfront area. They stay away from hills. It is illegal in SF to ride them on the sidewalk, so this limits them. They actually look kind of boring. I think a bike would be better, but if you have restrictions, they might be OK. You are not able to zip around the city as you can in the go cars. I see them all over, in GG Park, GG Bridge toll plaza, (not sure if you can take them across the bridge though), the Presidio. You can really get around and they have a GPS system with sound, that gives you directions and acts as a tour guide. You can go at your own pace and stop if you feel like it. They do look like they lack protection, though. I would hesitate to drive one in SF, but........

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go Cars or Segway Tour?

Hi girasol,

Thanks very much for your reply. You have me on the edge of my seat. You ended with a but... and left me hanging. But what? I can't hang like this much longer, lol, it's hard to feed my cat this way! Thanks again :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go Cars or Segway Tour?

I just meant that it looks like an adventure, and I might do it anyway. I would just avoid any major thoroughfares. It does seem to give go a good deal of independence and flexibility, provided that it is also affordable. They do look like fun. It's your call. Sorry Kitty!

North East, England
Level Contributor
649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go Cars or Segway Tour?

we hired a go car and went all over the city, it was the high light of our trip. the car guides to places the segway will never take you. we even drove down lombard street! we went right out of town as well as round union square! honest to god if you do one thing take a one of these trips. i had never even driven on the right at all ever and still felt safe and comfortable. you can stop at a place longer or give it a miss if you like instead of having to keep pace with a big tour group. have fun!

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
699 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go Cars or Segway Tour?

Thanks everyone for your feedback; I really appreciate it. Hi girasol, my cat is fine and well fed, now!

Upper Montclair...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Go Cars or Segway Tour?

I took the segway tour and it was GREAT. Ok so the tour part was kind of lacking but riding them was alot of fun. They are quite amazing.

monterey,ca
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go Cars or Segway Tour?

Hi, This is slightly off topic but I thought you might enjoy this since you seem the type to do something a little different.

You absolutely MUST take the antique fire engine tour !! OMIGOD, what a blast ! I've been on it twice and would definitely go again. It starts out near Ghiradelli square and eventually goes over GG bridge , thru. Sausalito and back again. Did I mention that you sit out on the back of the engine ??? Kind of where ladders would have been.They give you old, real firemen jackets and a clean knit hat to wear. The owners are lots of fun and their love of their city is evident. They have a wb site so you can reserve and buy tickets online. Great for adults and kids. What a way to see the CITY !!!!