We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairmont or Mark Hopkins?

Pleasanton...
13 posts
Save Topic
Fairmont or Mark Hopkins?

My husband and I are gong to be staying in San Francisco in December and have the chance to stay in either the Fairmont or the Mark Hopkins. Any advice to help us make our decision would be truly helpful since the reviews are very similar.

Thanks!

Turlock, California
Level Contributor
208 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairmont or Mark Hopkins?

My husband found a great price on one of discount websites (travelocity or expedia?) where they have discounted the rates tremendously at the Fairmont, more than 50%!! The disadvantage (for us, maybe not for you) is the location of the Fairmont. We like to stay closer to Union Square and the Fairmont is a distance from Union Square, not huge, but... on the other hand, the Mark Hopkins is a fairly old hotel, showing it's age. However, it is located in the heart of Union Square.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairmont or Mark Hopkins?

Hi,

The previous poster has mistaken the Mark Hopkins for probably the Sir Francis Drake or Westin St Francis.

The Mark Hopkins is directly across the street from the Fairmont on Nob Hill.

So, location wise there is really no difference.

They are both fine historic hotels and I love the "Top of the Mark" for drinks but I feel (for some reason) that the Fairmont has more history, character and San Francisco charm.

I would prefer the Fairmont.

Pleasanton...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairmont or Mark Hopkins?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I think we will go with Oskar's recommendation and book the Fairmont. Thanks again!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairmont or Mark Hopkins?

I would also go with the Fairmont over Mark Hopkins, it's a bit swankier and depends less on its reputation for Old San Francisco. Have a great trip!

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairmont or Mark Hopkins?

I would stay a the Fairmont and go across the street to the Top of the Mark at the Mark Hopkins for a drink.

omaha
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairmont or Mark Hopkins?

My wife and I just returned from a visit to The City and stayed at the Fairmont. While I cannot speak for the Mark Hopkins I can say only good things about the Fairmont. Nice location with the cable cars crossing at that location, and the facility and staff were awesome. We received a free upgrade to the tower without asking. The beds are unbelievably comfortable, and the seperate bath and shower are great too.

7. Re: Fairmont or Mark Hopkins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 13, 2009