We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental SUV prices really that high?

USA
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Rental SUV prices really that high?

I have been searching all over the internet for a Minivan or midsized SUV rental price for March 15-20, 2009.

p/u would be in SF, return would be at Oakland Airport.

I can't find anything less than $425 for a 6 day rental!!

That seems awfully high...

any suggestions, locations, or other?

Thanks

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,360 Reviews
from $105.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods and Wine Country, Lunch...
1,798 Reviews
from $126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,629 Reviews
from $61.20*
$68.00
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

That does seem high. These days everyone is trying to get compact gas savers and rental car companies are offering free upgrades to the bigger cars.

I think it's too early to search for March, but I did a search on kayak and orbitz came back with a rental from budget for a ford explorer for $385.82 or a Ford Freestar minivan for $342.84. A little cheaper, but better deals probably can be found (maybe find some car rental discount codes online - search!). You can always try priceline.

USA
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

Those prices you came up with most likely do not include taxes, which adds another $60-$80

Since there will be (8) of us, we will require (2) SUVs or Minivans due to luggage alone.

Thanks for trying.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

well you could have *tried* to repeat my steps (since I took the effort to try) and then you would have seen it DOES include taxes..

Base rate $264.99

1 week @ $264.99/week

Taxes and fees $77.85

Total car rental estimate $342.84 USD

Amount due now $0.00 USD

Amount due at pick-up

Base rate and taxes and fees . $342.84 USD

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

I would suggest Priceline but I believe you have to return the rental to the same place you pick up.

If you pickup/dropoff in SFO, Orbitz has minivans listed at $340 or so (incl tax) and SUV at $260.

Have you also tried looking for specials at the car rental websites?

USA
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

I have checked about a dozen rental car web sites.

I suppose the problem is we need to rent in SF (not the airport) and return the vehicles to Oakland Airport.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

Am I correct, by your other posts, in assuming that you are going to Napa after your SF stay?

How about taking BART to the Oakland Airport, without any luggage, to pick up the vehicles, drive back to SF to pick up passengers and luggage. Go to Napa. Return to OAK.

Check the rates for OAK pickup & return. Always cheaper when you return to same place.

Are you a COSTCO member. You can get a nice rental discount.

http://www.costcotravel.com/

Check rental cars. Prices often drop as date approaches (supply & demand) Reserve, check back, cancel if a better rate comes up. People are avoiding SUVs these days, so might be better for you.

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

snow season

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

My suggestion. You have a lot of time left. Book the best price now (cancellable). Then intermittently, keep checking - every now and then, there will be a discount somewhere for some reason.

An example. I reserved a full sized car for SF back in March (for august) for 11 days. Price $390 total with Budget(including taxes). This was better than any deal out there. I kept checking - prices went as high as $650 for the same time frame.

Then, on the Monday before our trip, I found a deal with Dollar for $209 for an intermediate car for the same time frame. I reserved that. Then, the next day, the same car was on the internet for over $450!

Anyway, I got the intermediate car for $209 TOTAL price.

Moral of the story: keep checking, be persistent.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

did you check on what it would be to hire a car service for the airport pick up and go with a one-day rental to visit Napa, which you can rent out of SF downtown locations with any of the major rental companies?

Quicksilver has an 8-passenger van

http://www.qstc.net/vehicles.html

are you splitting costs?

USA
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental SUV prices really that high?

We are in fact going from SF to Napa for 5 nights, after the arrival at Oakland Airport. We will be spending one night in SF at first.

I thought about going back to Oakland and picking up the rental vehicle after the 1st night, then driving to SF picking up and heading to Napa, but too much wasted time IMO.

We will rewquire either (2) minivans or SUVS for the 8 of us.