We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Davis CA to SFO airport

Davis, CA
3 posts
Save Topic
From Davis CA to SFO airport

My flight from SFO is 3pm Aug. 11. How can I get to the airport from Davis CA through public transportation or other ways not too expensive? Thanks!

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

It doesn't appear that there's a Greyhound station or stop in Davis. The Davis Airporter offers minibus service from SFO to a doorstep (i.e. "anywhere") in Davis CA for $85 one way. Additional information at http://www.davisairporter.com/.

Alternately, being Davis I guess you can see if anybody has a spare homing cow or bicycle.....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

I think the Davis Airporter is by far the easiest.

Much more difficult, but cheaper, you could take BART to Oakland (Coliseum), and take Amtrak up to Davis for $20. This would take forever, and you'd have to lug your stuff, and once you get to Davis, you'll have to figure out how to get where you're going.

When I went to UCD, and flew anywhere, if possible I tried to fly to either Sacramento or Oakland. Those airports are easier to get into and back to Davis. But, I'm sure you know that since you live there, just thought I'd post that for anyone who wasn't from around here and wanted to visit the beautiful Davis, with it's wonderful UC Campus. Go AGGIES!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

Actually, via Amtrak you can go all the way to San Francisco. The last leg of the trip is done via Amtrak shuttle from Emeryville, and you can choose to get off at the Ferry Building. The Embarcadero BART station is right across the street and you can take that to SFO.

Are you a UCD student? One cheap way but longer way to do it is to the the inter-campus shuttle from UC Davis to UC Berkeley. But you'd have to take a bus from UC Berkeley to Ashby BART, then BART to SFO.

…ucdavis.edu/buses/…schedule.php

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

And yeah. Go Aggies! :)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

And yeah. Go Aggies! :)

Davis, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

Thank you all! I'm a visiting scholar here. Will probably choose Amtrak-Bart way via Ferry station. Thank you again. Have a nice day!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

Bella and Angie,

Do you think it's better to take the Ferry Building option? I would think skipping the bus link from oakland to SF would be better. Going Amtrak to Bart, instead of Amtrak - bus - to Bart. But...

*disclaimer, I've never gone from UCD to SFO.

It just seemed like it would cut out a step.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

Compared to $85 for the Davis Airporter, at $22 for Amtrak including the bus leg from Emeryville to the "Ferry Building" on the Embarcadero (doesn't Amtrak still actually use the Agriculture Building just south of the Ferry Building by <shudder> Sinbads?) and then an additional $5.35 for BART to SFO, as long as money is more important than time and you don't mind some schlepping, the Amtrak/BART combo seems to be the way to go.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

While I think the airporter is your best bet, if you want to do the Amtrak/BART connection, then your stop will be in Richmond, where BART and Amtrak have adjoining stations. My MIL, who lives in Davis, does it all the time when she visits the city.

The only downside is that the BART line that goes to Richmond is not the same one that goes to the airport, so somewhere in either downtown Oakland or SF you will need to get off your train and wait for another that says "SFO."

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Davis CA to SFO airport

I should have added that transferring to the BART SFO line doesn't involve leaving any part of the station- you would literally just get off and then wait for another train. Doing this in the underground stations in Oakland or SF will mean you can stay out of the "weather", whatever it may be.

Also, transferring from Amtrak to BART in Richmond is very easy, and also doesn't involve a long walk with your luggage. It will also mean you can avoid having to transfer to a bus link like you would if you went through Emeryville.