We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cable cars

cheshire
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
cable cars

I have mobility problems (mostly going up stairs) but really want to ride a cable car when we visit in September. Can anyone recommend a stop to get on where I would not be pushed over in the rush? Also are the steps into the cable cars high? Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cable cars

The California Line Cable Car is very low key if you just want to ride a Cable Car. You can get on at Market and Drumm Street and take it to Nob Hill. They will assist you with getting on and off. The Mason and Hyde Lines are busier, however, if ride it early early in the morning, it would be doable. It is a good step up and I don't know if they have a little stair step to help people. If they do, I have never seen it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cable cars

I agree with Wes_Tyler_GM, of the 3 lines, take the California Street Line. That one is the least crowded, so you won't have trouble getting on and a seat. Just ride the cable car the whole way; the last stop at Embarcadero is flat, and the other last stop at Van Ness Avenue is relatively flat. Yes, the steps to the cable car are high, but the MUNI employees (there are two of them on the cable car) should be able to help you out, esp. if you get on and off at the final stops, since they're not in a rush to get the cable car moving and can lend you a helping hand.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cable cars

The California Street line is also the most boring of the three. I suggest taking the Hyde cable car for the best experience

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,735 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cable cars

Most times of the day you have to queue at either end of the cable car line, so if you wait your turn and all the seats are taken, just wait for the next car and you can be first in line to get a seat. You can board at Market St near Union Square or at Fisherman's Wharf. I agree they California line is not as crowded because it is not as scenic.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cable cars

Getting onto the cable car is a step up but it's not much worse than a UK bus. So if you manage bus, then you'll probably be able to manage a cable car.

I agree with the suggestion of getting the car from the Market Street end of Powell Street and riding it to Fisherman's Wharf.

At each end, the car unloads completely. Then the driver unhooks it from the driving cable below the road, pushes it onto a turntable, turns it round, pushes it forward, re-hooks it to the driving cable on the other side. And only then do new passengers get on. In short everything there is slow and steady.

The cars have a ticket collector who will help you if he sees you. If he doesn't see you just ask and then he'll help. Both the drivers and the ticket collectors on the cars that I rode seemed to really want their passengers to enjoy the trip. They are a great asset to San Francisco.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cable cars

it's about three to four high steps but the operators will help you. If you want to wait at the turntable and let others board and wait to be the first to board the next cable car, you should have a seat. Once you get a seat, no one pushes you. California line is slower, but the views are on the Hyde line. Have fun.

cheshire
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cable cars

Thanks to all who replied( esp. cheshire cat - nice to hear from a fellow Cheshire resident). A recent article I read implied it was a free for all. I should have known better from our last trip to the US - you Americans are great believers in standing in line!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: cable cars

The California Line tends to have no lines. I usually get on at the last stop at the Embarcadero/Hyatt Regency, and there are no lines at all. I just hop on in. The Powell Street ones, on the other hand, you better wait your turn, esp. on the weekends and warm days.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cable cars

If you sit on the open sides of the Cable Car there are only two medium sized steps and people tend to be helpful, so you don't have anything to worry about.

California line is definitely the easiest!

Don't worry, just have fun!!!

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cable cars

BTW the California Line does NOT go to Fishermans Wharf.