We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Tours

Birmingham,al.
Level Contributor
226 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Local Tours

My wife and I will be in San Francisco oner Labor Day and I am trying to plan a couple of tours We plant to take the city tour and Muir Woods/Sausalito tours. I am planning the city tour for Monday - Labor day and wonder if we should do the Muir Woods/ Sausalito in combination on the same day or break it up and do it later in the week.

Although it is cheaper to do the combination, I wonder if we would do better doing the city tour in the morning of Labor Day and spending the rest of the day seeing sights around Fisherman's Warf area. We would then do the Muir Woods/Sausalito tour another morning and see Chinatown and other downtown sights in that afternoon. Any advise would be appreciated.

One other question. Does anyone have any experience with Tower Tours or Grayline? Which is better? Which has better vehicles?

Thanks for everyones help!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,876 posts
5,488 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Tours

It sounds like you have that flexibility....to do Muir WOods on a non-labor day day (i.e. September 2,3,4,5). I would do it later in week (i.e. after the 5th.) Since its a holiday, the road to and from Muir Woods will have lots of traffic on it....so doing it later in the week makes sense. Enjoying Chinatown afterwards would be good. Perhaps a walking tour followed by dinner?

I'd probably do city tour in the morning of Labor Day and enjoying the sights around Fisherman Wharf. There will be lots of people there (good news, bad news) but that also means the most activities going on. So I like the city tour/Fisherman Wharf on Labor Day...

Grayline seems to have the better vehicles of the 2, so if you're comfortable with Grayline choose them. Do book the tours soon since Labor Day will be popular time to visit.

Enjoy your hoiday.

Chgo
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Tours

We just booked a tour thru- www.californiajeeptours. Includes city tour and Muir Woods/Sausalito total time 6 hrs. A previous posted recommended this tour as it's just the four of us in a jeep. This tour gives us a more customized tour rather than a whole bus load tour. Also they can adjust the tour to your liking. When I called to make reservations, they pick-up at our hotel. Hope this helps!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Tours

There are tours offered by Go San Francisco Card (http://www.gosanfranciscocard.com) san fran walking tours, hop on hop off trolley tours, gray line tours to montery/caramel, discount on muir woods tours, etc.

If you're doing more than one it might be a good idea.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Tours

We just did Super Sightseeing's combo City Tour/Muir Woods & Sausalito tour on the 4th of July (using the GoSanFrancisco card discount). It was my wife's first trip to SF (I've been dozens of times), and we had a 20-month-old in tow and didn't want to rent a car, so the best way for her to get a feel for the parts of the city outside Union Square/Chinatown/North Beach/Fisherman's Wharf was to do a tour, and I definitely wanted her to see Muir Woods. It worked out pretty well for us -- there were actually fewer other tour groups than usual on July 4th, especially at Muir Woods (according to our driver, they were the only company operating their tour on the holiday). I think part of the reason our experience worked so well was that everyone was flocking to the Wharf area for the fireworks display that night. On Labor Day, the situation might be different, with no central focal point for everyone to crowd into.