We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sheraton hotel / argonaut

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Topic
sheraton hotel / argonaut

We are on our last leg of honeymoon between 11th - 14th jan 05 and are currently stopping at the sheraton at fishermans wharf. We have had a call to say that there will be some building works outside the hotel with working hours between 10am and 6pm. We have been offered another hotel namely the Argonaut hotel 495 jefferson street at hyde. Does anyone know this hotel. We are interested in location as we will generally be out and about between these hours, however if this is a better hotel would appreciate your comments. We need to let the travel agents know asap what we wish to do. Many thanks all

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

I'd go with the Argonaut. I've heard nothing but great things about it. I'll be staying there in March, and I based my decision by going to the hotel's website as well and reading the reviews on this site. The Sheraton gets mixed reviews and is 186 in popularity, while the Argonaut receives consistently excellent reviews and is ranked 2 in popularity. If you haven't done so, check out the hotel's website: http://www.argonauthotel.com/

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

Argonaut is part of the Kimpton Group, which is highly recommended. I would stay there instead of the Sheraton in a heartbeat.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

Personally, I'd go with the Argonaut. Although the interior of the hotel is brand new, the building (the Haslett Warehouse, constructed in 1907 by the California Fruit and Vegetable Canner's Association as part of what was at the time the world's largest fruit and vegetable cannery) itself has a lot more character and history than the pile of concrete Sheraton. Additionally, although the Sheraton isn't very far away, the Argonaut is in closer proximity to some of the interesting features of Fisherman's Wharf such as the Hyde Street Pier, as well as better Fisherman's Wharf shopping destinations such as the Cannery and Ghirardelli Square. Finally, as somebody else pointed out, the Argonaut is operated by the Kimpton Group, which tends to impart their hotels with more individuality, color, and style than the traditional corporate operations.

4. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:32 pm, December 08, 2004
england
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

thanks for all your replys, I am 90% changing to this hotel. Can anyone tell me what is near the sheraton and what is near the argonaut. In terms of touristy things to do. Thanks

england
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

i have reposted this meassage about location of argonaut as i have had a message that a message has been removed for some reason. If anyone can help i would really appreciate it. Thanks

england
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

Does anyone know what works are going on outside the sheraton, how noisy it is. I still are undecided whetner to change to the argonaut. thanks to those who have replied already

LPC
Nothern California
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

The location is perfectly touristy. You are right by the Ghirardelli Square shopping complex, also the little strip of beach where kids play and people walk dogs - might get sun you never know - and most importantly, right near the cable car turnaround so you can ride up over the hill to Union Square and Chinatown. And it is near Fisherman's Wharf. Dont know the hotels but if you are coming to SF the Argonaut appears to be sort of quirky, like the city.

england
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

LPC - Thanks for your reply, just want to check with you that you were refering to the sheraton as being near the cable car etc and near other attractions rather than the argonaut. Or indeed if anyone else knows which hotel is best suited I would appreciate your comments.

Dumbarton,Scotland
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: sheraton hotel / argonaut

Having checked the reviews if I could afford the Argonaut I wouldn`t think twice. The "Popularity Rankings" speak for themselves. Have nice holiday.