We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Any suggestions???

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - Any suggestions???

Hi there. We're planning to tour a bit of the USA in 2006 and we want to hire a convertible car in San Francisco and drop it off about 10 days later in Las Vegas. We'll probably do approx 2000 miles.

Has anyone done this or can suggest a car hire company that will be able to accomodate us?

Many thanks!!!

San Pablo...
Level Contributor
336 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

If you are going to be in downtown San Francisco all the major US car rental companies (Hertz, Budget, Avis, Alamo, Dollar) should have locations on or near Mason Street. In addition, many of the hotels have desks in their lobby.

I did a quick search on Hertz and they rent convertables from their Mason Street Location. I would assume that you could also get what you need at the Airport.

Having worked rental car transport in my twenties for weekend cash (we called it 'shagging' then, way different meaning now) I can advise you that if you want a special car you should make your arrangements ahead of time. I would also advise doing so while talking to a real person so that you can ask questions like "Are you guarenteeing that the car will be there?".

Best of luck. It sounds like a great trip.

Terri

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

Try www.allstatescarhire.com for UK residents hiring cars in the US.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

I don't know if this will work for you, but I was surprised that I was able to rent a car from Hotwire.com for US$22.95 a day. I don't rent often, but that seemsed like a pretty good price, to me. (I rented a Hertz for 10 days.)

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

We are also looking to do this same trip, though popping up to the Napa wine region first and then making our way down the coast and then inland to Vegas. We have 2 weeks, does this seem reasonable and how long should we spend in SF at the start? Lastly, we will be flying back from Vegas, is any airline better than another? Any cheap websites? Thanks!

Renfrew, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

We're just back from almost 3 weeks holiday across there.

We had a fantastic time.

We hired our car from Alamo in Bush Street (San Fran).

We had pre-ordered an 'intermediate size' vehicle - and we were very happy with the Chevy Classic we were given - However, the guy at the desk was almost begging us to take a convertable instead (at the same price) - but it would have been wasted on us, due to the heat at Las Vegas and Death Valley etc.

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

We rented a luxury car from www.foxcarrental.com. We found that we had to make the 1/2 hour train journey back to the airport but we saved a lot of money with this company and they were very good.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

Thanks for the suggestions on car hire. Does anyone know if our idea of 3 days in SF, driving up to the Napa wine region, then down (Yes I know it is doubling back!) to hearst castle (Spelling?), then through to Vegas is doable in 2 weeks. We wanted to get to death valley though if we go to Hearst then it seems a little out of the way. Any suggestions on other stops on final leg to Vegas to break the trip or should we just do it in one go?

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

Santa Barbara

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

Nowadays, it's a good idea to shop for the car on Orbitz, Expedia and/or Travelocity, not in any particular order. Enter your particulars. Each will give you a matrix that shows the different car companies' rates for the type of car(s) you're interested in. Then you know the spread - which can be dramatic. Then, go to the website of the car rental company that appeals to you most, and see what they offer for the same car. Often it's cheaper.

Alternatively, if you don't care at all what company you rent from, go to Hotwire or Priceline, and do it their way. You find out the company once you've committed.

Say you spend 15 minutes and save 75 pounds or more, you've just earned at a rate of 300 pounds per hour. And 75 pounds can buy you one dinner in SF, or several (or a show) in LV.

London
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire - Any suggestions???

I've hired a few cars in the U.S. and the best people to speak to are an English Company called Airline Network - you have to call to get the best rates - the number is 0870 700 0543.

The problem with one way rentals in the U.S. is the extra charge to drop off at a differnet location (about $120 usually) but these guys beat all other companies hands down.

Nick

London