We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir Woods Tours

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toledo, OH
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Muir Woods Tours

We will be in San Francisco mid-June, 4 adults and 2 teens. Interested in Muir woods tours. Considering hop on/hop off bus tour or smaller shuttle bus tours. Any ideas??

Also, is the Alcatraz tour a must see?? Heard they

were very crowded and not worth it??

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,230 posts
1,640 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muir Woods Tours

you can do a SF coach tour and include a Muir wood extension.

I belive that there ar public buses that go to Muir Woods in the summer only.

Alcatraz is worth going to and relatively inexpensive. Just book tickets online in advance.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muir Woods Tours

They say if you book the early bird tour at 9 am you can beat some of the crowds. I am giving it a try. I've already purchased tickets online. It's 24.00 per person. Although I'm not crazy about seeing Alcatraz I know my husband will be. So I'm going for him and going to take in the sights on the ferry ride over.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muir Woods Tours

The ferry ride and the views of the city make it worth it.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
93 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Muir Woods Tours

Personally, I would consider Alcatraz a "must do". A friend of ours went to Alcatraz recently and really enjoyed the night tour, seems that there was just a bit of creepiness to keep their 13 yr old interested.

If you haven't already read the reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d10…

Ile-de-France...
Level Contributor
878 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Muir Woods Tours

We didn't enjoyed Alcatraz. Really above my dreams! But is-it possible to visit SF without Alcatraz? It isn't worth it but it is a must! That's it!

For Muir Wood tour: why don't you rent a car with GPS for one day? Avis and Hertz are close to Union Square.

I would select Hertz because you can return the car late in the evening. Have a look at there web sites

6. Re: Muir Woods Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, September 28, 2009