We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th birthday surprise

balto.
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
30th birthday surprise

I'm taking my husband on a surprise trip to San Francisco. Would someone be so kind to help me out with a few questions?

*We are staying at the Cartwright. Would it be possbile to take the BART from the airport?

*I'm looking for someplace fun to take him for a night on the town. I was thinking of somewhere a little more casual that has great food. Could you reccomend any place on the water or that has live music?

*With the fog in mind, is there a best time of the day to take pictures?

Thank you all so much. I know this will be an unforgettable trip.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th birthday surprise

For a very casual, unusal and fun dining experience, I like to go to the San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market. On Thursdays they are open until 9am, although they are open at lunchtime daily. I like eating at the Slanted Door's take-away, or Lulu's take away (crispy chicken sandwich -YUM) for lunch. If Vietnamese or California cuisine don't do it for you, the burgers at Taylor's Refresher might. (They also have a fantastic wine list if you drink alcohol, great milkshakes if you do not), or even eating caviar or buying some Scharffenberger chocolate. So much to eat. So little time. ;) The cupcakes for sale at Miette Patisserie would make a nice birthday touch too. Beautiful water views. ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/html/farmer_s_m…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
239 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th birthday surprise

Regarding BART. Sutter Street is about 6 blocks up from BART (and it is slightly up hill). Do you want to walk that with your luggage? This is the issue. When I am out shopping at Union Square, I routinely do this walk.

When you say "casual", do you also mean less expensive? Or is your casual question referring more to dress? And if it is referring to dress, do you mean jeans and tennis shoes?

Regarding the fog... there might not be fog. However, it usually burns off (at least on the east side of town) by midday. So for photos... anytime after that. But note that it can roll back in later in the afternoon.