We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grayline Trolley Hop questions

Near Disneyland
Level Contributor
724 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grayline Trolley Hop questions

I'm thinking about taking Grayline's 1 hour Trolley Hop tour but not sure where I should hop off at? The stops are Pier 39, Pier 41, Union Square, Ferry Building, and North Beach/Chinatown.

I will be in town for 2 days around May 25 Memorial Day weekend. I would like to eat at House of Nanking after reading some crazy reviews but not totally sure.

Also would like to know just how crowded the trolley would be when I go to hop back on? I'm thinking CROWDED on a holiday weekend.

The end point of this tour is lunch at the Hard Rock which is included in the $38 price.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,870 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
North Beach
North Beach
264 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
House of Nanking
House of Nanking
1,923 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grayline Trolley Hop questions

Without knowing what interests you, how do you suggest we answer your questions?

Near Disneyland
Level Contributor
724 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grayline Trolley Hop questions

Good point and I sure wish we could edit our posts here because I had an afterthought that I wanted to include.

OK I do like food places. I'm a foodie on the fun side. Not a critic by any means and always looking for good BBQ joints, grills, and some decent Chinese food as well.

When it comes to museums I'm a science nut and somewhere along the line plan to visit the Exploratorium. Also like entertainment complexes like the Metreon for example.

Not into coffee shops but I don't mind walking around for an hour killing time looking at the local scenery.

I'm still piecing together everything I want to see on this trip so maybe I should compile a Wish List for you to peruse.

By the way I really enjoyed reading your TouringSFO site. Good stuff getting you from Point A to B.

My travel dates are:

Sunday, May 25th, Arrive in town around 9am, take 10am Trolley Hop finish at 11am with lunch at Hard Rock, still figuring out rest of day

Monday the 26th, in town to do whatever

Tuesday the 27th, leave town for Monterey

I am flexible and can add a day if I need to.

Just curious if most restaurants will be open on Memorial Day?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Exploratorium
Exploratorium
3,074 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Metreon
Metreon
61 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grayline Trolley Hop questions

bgactor2005 said «I sure wish we could edit our posts here»

We all do.

«I'm a foodie»

Visit UseNet's ba.food. There's a link to it on the DON'T-MISS SIGHTS page at geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/Sights.html as well as to major restaurant food review sites.

«good BBQ»

The current consensus is Memphis Minnie's on Haight Street is best but I don't think it's deserving of that accolade. My favorite has been renamed and I've not been able to get there before closing. It's on Divisadero near Grove. Nate's sauce is sickly sweet. «Chinese food»

Chef Jia's on Kearny near Pacific. Don't make the mistake of going to the place next door.

«museums I'm a science nut and somewhere along the line plan to visit the Exploratorium

It's been called the best place of its kind on Earth. WARNING: Get there when the doors open with nothing else planned before dinner!

«By the way I really enjoyed reading your TouringSFO site. Good stuff getting you from Point A to B.»

Thank you. Much appreciated.

«Monterey»

Did you look at the DRIVING DIRECTIONS page?

«Just curious if most restaurants will be open on Memorial Day?»

Many are closed on Mondays.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis Minnie's
Memphis Minnie's
120 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Haight Street
Haight Street
167 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Exploratorium
Exploratorium
3,074 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Near Disneyland
Level Contributor
724 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grayline Trolley Hop questions

«Just curious if most restaurants will be open on Memorial Day?»

SwingCha replied:

**Many are closed on Mondays.**

That's interesting because my Frommers Guide shows MOST restaurants OPEN on Mondays. I figured out a short list of what I want to see while I'm there on a Sunday and Monday.

Perhaps I can figure out what is indeed open or closed and schedule around that.

Here's my list...

Boudin Bakery, just saw this tonight on Food Network,mmmm sourdough!

Sears Fine Foods, value rated in Frommers

House of Nanking, suggested you let waiter order for you, expect long lines and rude service

Sam Wo, don't know much yet

Stinking Rose, ohh 40 clove chicken, hey SwingCha maybe we could have a TA Meet and Greet here. Bring the mints. ;)

Mo's Gourmet Burgers, mmmm burgers!

Liguria Bakery, hot, warm, FRESH focaccia bread til close!

Hard Rock Cafe, included in Trolley Hop price, sounds like a loud place to eat.

Still open to other suggestions. The Hop Off part of my tour could be North Beach or Ferry Bldg.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Boudin Bakery & Cafe
Boudin Bakery & Cafe
2,329 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Sears Fine Foods
Sears Fine Foods
3,287 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
House of Nanking
House of Nanking
1,923 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Sam's Diner
Sam's Diner
545 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Mo's Grill
Mo's Grill
321 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
North Beach
North Beach
264 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grayline Trolley Hop questions

Hmm, well I certainly can't understand why a "foodie" would be interested in the Hard Rock Cafe. I would not describe myself as a 'foodie' but I would certainly give a wide berth to the Hard Rock, in favor of any number of places with better food at similar prices, and in the same neighborhood. Rose Pistola is just one place that comes to mind.

And the Monday thing, I presume SwingCha meant Chinese places, they are notorious for being closed on Mondays. It's their holy day or something, I guess.

Near Disneyland
Level Contributor
724 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grayline Trolley Hop questions

Well OK then drop the word "foodie" since I can't edit my post and meant another "word."

Yeah I like fast food joints but you can only stand McBurgers for so long when on vacation. As I said before(I think)I'm a big fan of BBQ...especially tri-tip, pulled pork, etc and appreciate info posted previously.

I will SAVE my hard earned money and avoid the Hard Rock Cafe and just do the 1 hour Trolley Hop Tour minus lunch there. Looks like I will have to hit Sam Wo or House of Nanking on Sunday when I arrive.

Mentioned in this post
Sam Wo
Sam Wo
126 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
House of Nanking
House of Nanking
1,923 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
7. Re: Grayline Trolley Hop questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 23, 2009
;