We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

london
3 posts
Save Topic
Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

Hi

Am in San francisco this week. As a uk citizen can i claim back all the tax on my shopping when i go back to the uk???

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,161 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

NOPE! You also pay a hotel tax,tax on petrol etc.

Sorry.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

I am sorry, too.

US doesn't do this. You get to pay the same taxes we do, without all of the benefits, I guess, that the taxes pay for?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

Look at it this way: If you need a police officer, one will be there, free(except for taxes)of charge. If your hotel room catches on fire, it will be a firefighter(taxes again) who saves you, free of charge. The roads you drive on free of charge are paid for from taxes. The water you drink is pathogen free due to taxes. So, in the long run, you are getting a return for the taxes you pay. Chuck...

Los Angeles, ca
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

Some people are just suckers for taxes...

And Americans are topping the list.

For your information England, Canada and good number of other countries do RETURN the sales taxes for visiting citizens of others countries when they leave their country.

It's just common sense.

And by the way for the same amount of TAX their governments also provide their citizens with top notch FREE healthcare.

So what about doing some research before posting smartass answers!

Ps: I work in the tourism industry and get the same question all the time from European tourists...

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

Ummm

gustavoBrum: Did you even look at the date of this post? It's over a year old. What's your point? Chuck...

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

It may be an old post, but it is a question that may be of interest to other visitors and GustavoBrum's response was justified, it's just a pity that nobody made the same points earlier.

US visitors frequently ask the same question on European forums. Visitors to the EU can get a tax refund on goods purchased for use on return to their home country, though they must spend a minimum amount before they can make the claim. The refund does not apply to tax paid on items or services used during their stay (eg hotels and food).

Los Angeles, ca
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

And it's also an incentive for tourists to buy goods, to spend more $$$ because if they don't pay sales taxes then most likely the goods they are buying on their trip ( in this case San Francisco)will be cheaper than buying at their home country.

For sure this can help more the local business than the "little" sales tax they pay...

8. Re: Can i get sales tax back at the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, October 31, 2009