We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco in Nov/Dec

Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco in Nov/Dec

Hi there to fellow travellers and the locals over there in the City by the Bay! Hope this finds you in fine spirits. I am thinking of visiting San Francisco sometime in late Nov/early Dec at year's end. Just one question: what's the weather usually like at that time of the year? Will most attractions be closed and will the weather hamper driving outside the city. I'm thinking of making side trips to Carmel and Monterey as well as the Red Woods and Yosimite Park. What do you think? Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated from any seasoned travellers!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco in Nov/Dec

«what's the weather usually like at that time of the year?»

At the TouringSFO site http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ is the DON'T-MISS SIGHTS IN SAN FRANCISCO page that includes a WEATHER chart. Rain is possible but not likely.

«Will most attractions be closed»

It is extremely rare that anything here is closed on account of weather.

«will the weather hamper driving outside the city.»

Only if you go into the Sierra. The snow level is usually higher than four thousand feet.

«I'm thinking of making side trips to Carmel and Monterey»

Please visit the DRIVING DIRECTIONS page geocities.com/touringsfo/…DriveDir.html where many of your questions are answered.

«as well as the Red Woods and Yosimite Park.»

Muir Woods, with its Tall Trees, is very close. Yosemite, with its Big Trees, is covered on the page of Driving Directions.

«Just one question: … What do you think?»

I think I answered four questions therefore I think one of us doesn't count very well.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco in Nov/Dec

Thanks Swingcha! Appreciate your answers and expert advice!

Indiana
Level Contributor
817 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco in Nov/Dec

I usually go to SF in November (although it is usually mid November) and the weather is always nice. Not too warm or too cold. I don't think I have ever taken anything more than a jacket to layer up. The last time (2006), we went to Napa and it was perfect. Nice and warm, mid 70's.

Have a fun trip!

Mentioned in this post
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco in Nov/Dec

Thank you 2manyjules! Does anyone out there know how best to enjoy San Francisco for a family of 4 without breaking the bank? The guide books I read do give me some ideas but perhaps the locals can give me some even better ideas? Thanks and any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco in Nov/Dec

henrylee asked «how best to enjoy San Francisco for a family of 4 without breaking the bank?»

Among other helpful pages at the TouringSFO site at http://geocities.com/touringsfo/ site is the

DON'T-MISS SIGHTS IN SAN FRANCISCO page. Most of the attractions on the page are gratis, many of very modest cost.

Considering Singapore's economic strength relative to that created by the current President of the USA, your currency should purchase quite a bit of ours.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
United States
United States
North America
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco in Nov/Dec

Actually, the exchange rate is still about 70 cents to 1 USD, so SF may not be that much of a bargain for Singaporeans. It's the Brits that I'm jealous of!

New York
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco in Nov/Dec

I also plan to visit during Thanksgiving time (Nov 24-29) to San Fran. I plan to make trip to Lake Taho as well as Yosemite. My questions are:

-What would be driving conditions while driving SFO->Yosomite, next Yosemite to Lake Taho?

- Can I drive with ordinary Compact/full size car or need SUV for bad road/snow conditions?

- Will most Yosemite & Lake Taho attractions be open?

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco in Nov/Dec

Yosemite and Lake Tahoe "attractions" (whatever that means) are outside. As far as I know the outdoors never closes.

It could be snowing in the Sierra or it could not. Most years not very much, snow is made by ski resorts so that over the Thanksgiving holiday skiers/boarders will be able to use the resorts.

If the weather reports indicate large snow storms then maybe you'd want to switch from your smaller car to an SUV. Most roads are regularly cleared of snow so that the only time you actually need 4 WD or tire chains is during the snow storm and before the road is cleared. Are you experienced enough to drive a car, SUV or otherwise in that kind of weather? Some roads (Tioga Pass, 4, 108) are closed in the winter and not cleared at all.

You should plan to use the west side of the sierra to pass from Yosemite to Tahoe. This means using 120 (Big Oak entrance, Groveland), 49 & 88 to travel between them.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: San Francisco in Nov/Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 08, 2010