We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy idea? Cheaper to stay in Yosemite while concurrently...

fort worth, texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Crazy idea? Cheaper to stay in Yosemite while concurrently...

I'm trying to show my daughter SF and Yosemite on a budget.

This may be crazy, but when I calculate the separate variables (air fare, SF hotel, car rental, Yosemite hotel), it appears to be cheaper to book a package to SF, check in for 7 nights at HIE Pacifica, drive to Yosemite the next day for two nights, and then return to HIE Pacifica and continue our stay there. The money that I save by booking the package to SF pays for the Yosemite hotel!

Would the hotel be concerned if we were not around for a couple of days? They would already have my money, so I don't see why there would be a problem.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy idea? Cheaper to stay in Yosemite while concurrently...

I don't think that should be a problem. Maybe just let them know so the maid won't do double duty. You paid for the room, so you can do with it what you want! (Well, almost...)

You realize you'll have a little commuting to do to get from Pacifica to Sf for your touring, right??

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy idea? Cheaper to stay in Yosemite while concurrently...

I would leave some stuff still in the room, like food, some reading material, maybe a pair of shoes cause the maid might tell the desk person you checked out when you really did not.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy idea? Cheaper to stay in Yosemite while concurrently...

People do that all the time, just let the hotel know.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy idea? Cheaper to stay in Yosemite while concurrently...

Does not sound crazy at all.

As a courtesy on your part, I recommend advising the HIE manager or conceirge of your two-day plan and that your rental car will be out of the security garage for a couple days. I think you will feel more secure knowing someone is minding your room and belongings, and will know your general whereabouts in case of an emergency. Won't cause HIE staff any worry as well.

Check the availability of lodging in the park ASAP. School is out now and it might be near impossible to find anything. If you cannot stay in the park look on the internet for areas immediately surrounding the park, i.e., towns of Mariposa, Oakhurst or Fish Camp (2 mi from the south gate of the park).

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I live south of Pacifica in the Half Moon Bay area and I commuted to The City nearly everyday for many years without much hassle...guess I just got used to it. HIE has maps and literature to guide you. Be sure to ask about cheap all-day parking garages, i.e., $13.00 all day in an underground garage in the Chinatown/North Beach area on Broadway, right next to the Royal Pacific Motor Lodge, gives you walking access to points of interest there, plus you can catch a cable car or MUNI down to Ghiradelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf areas quite easily from that HQ.

Wishing you and your child a wonderful vacation.

LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy idea? Cheaper to stay in Yosemite while concurrently...

Not crazy at all....

I do this when at Grand Canyon-South Rim, lock all necc. values in the hotel's safe, and let the front desk know I'll be back in a couple of days, and no housemaid service needed. Trek down to the bottom of the Canyon for hiking-camping or helicopter & mule it into oasis & shangrila Havasupai Falls and it's 3 sisters to camp & swim under the stars.