We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to San Francisco

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to San Francisco

HELP????? This is my first time visiting San Francisco and I have been researching places to stay till I am blue in the face! I want to stay in the Union Square/Nob Hill area and have so called (narrowed) it down to 3 places that I have read a lot of good reviews on expedia.com and elsewhere about. Does anyone know anything about the Hilton, Cartwright, or Hotel Carlton (Boutique) Hotel?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would rather spend less money for a nice, descent hotel and have more money for shopping and spending.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Time to San Francisco

You might also try eating at Lefty O'Doul's It's very inexpensive and the people are friendly; from the outside, it looks a little rundown, but it's been there forever and makes a great spot for a quick meal. It's on Geary between Mason and Powell, right across from the St. Francis, 1/2 a block from Union Square.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: First Time to San Francisco

The Chancellor and most boutique hotels in San Francisco are hotels that were constructed shortly after the '06 earthquake. The Chancellor Hotel was built in 1914. The rooms are smaller than you find today and they built things a lot differently 90 years ago. if you only like new chain hotels, you may not like the Chancellor. The Chancellor is old time San Francisco and has a European feel. Boutique means smaller, intimate and more individual. If you stay at most of the chain hotels in San Francisco, you might as well be in Anytown USA as far as the hotel goes. It's kind of like driving an old Model T Ford car that is in perfect condition. It's fun, different and special but it is a lot different than driving and new car today. Read the reviews of the Chancellor. They pretty much tell the story.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Time to San Francisco

Hi Aggie00,

I've stayed at most of the newer hotels and a lot of the "boutique" hotels over the years and when we visit now we tend to stay at boutique older ones. I think it is more the real San Francisco_____more character and charm.

If you were looking at Cartwright and Carlton or Chancellor ____go for Chancellor ____seems like a good rate .

(now you have me recommending Chancellor Wes Tyler GM)

Oskar

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Time to San Francisco

Hi Aggie00,

I've stayed at most of the newer hotels and a lot of the "boutique" hotels over the years and when we visit now we tend to stay at boutique older ones. I think it is more the real San Francisco_____more character and charm.

If you were looking at Cartwright and Carlton or Chancellor ____go for Chancellor ____seems like a good rate .

(now you have me recommending Chancellor Wes Tyler GM)

Oskar

Birmingham,al.
Level Contributor
226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Time to San Francisco

My wife and I are comming to San Francisco for the first time over Labor Day and I have researched to death! We chose the Chancellor for it's location and many recommendations. My experience with the staff so far has been excellent. I booked our trip on Expedia also.

For car rentals, the Hertz is only a block away and they will let you return the car after hours. We are also going to Monterey and the Hertz was our best deal.

I beleive the post about the breakfast places around the Chancellor was right on the money. I have heard good things about Sears for breakfast.

California
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First Time to San Francisco

rental car best prices is Thifty on the 500 block of Mason at Post, very close to the Square. Enterprise at 222 Mason also may have good rates.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First Time to San Francisco

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input on the hotels/boutique's! They really helped me make a decision. I went with the Chancelor for it's location and seems to be highly recommended. I found that Dottie's True Blue Cafe is rated #6 on top resturaunts and I have heard many things about Sears as well.

Does anyone have an opinion on purchasing a san fran card? I have bought these before but then recently I took a trip to London and I didn't buy one. I seemed to get by just fine because a lot of times they don't include everything that you want to do.

Also, if I am going to be there for 5 days is a MUNI pass the best way to go to travel around the city?