We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from san francisco to la

australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
driving from san francisco to la

how far and how long if you take the coast route

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from san francisco to la

easily 10 hours... longer if you make leisurely stops along the way.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from san francisco to la

a good mapping website to get accurate route info. and mileage is www.randmcnally.com

You can skip the street address and simply type in the City and State in the "driving directions" part of the site.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from san francisco to la

It's about 400 miles, but if you do that route, which is Highway 1, I doubt you can do it all in one day. Taking 101, which parallels Highway 1, is most of the time a freeway and takes about 8 hours. If you go on Highway 1, expect to add on a couple of more hours just driving. But since you'll be sightseeing, I assume you'll be stopping frequently, esp. in cities like Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Morro Bay, Santa Barbara, etc. So you'll probably have to add on a few more hours to the already 10 hours of driving. So I recommend you take a couple of days to go down if you take the coastal route. If you want more help, I'm pretty sure there are others who've done that drive, so just do a search on the web and see what their driving experience was. And to check out another interesting place along your coastal drive, check out Solvang also. That's a little inland from the coast, but it's worth the drive. It's a Danish town that looks like it's been transplanted from Scandinavia.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Solvang
Solvang
California
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,723 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from san francisco to la

To really enjoy the drive properly you need to take at least two days and as well as places to stop already mentioned you must stop and tour Hearst Castle. Check out the websites.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from san francisco to la

I've done the trip in both the extended (5+ days) and express (11 hours, with stops at many vantage points) versions of this most fantastic drive. Both versions have their merits, but I honestly think that if you're visiting in summer, when the days are longest, you can do the whole thing during daylight hours w/o feeling too rushed.