We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do I need a rental car in SF?

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
do I need a rental car in SF?

Hi. I'm travelling to Cali for a wedding in Sonoma. I want to spend 3-4 days in San Fran before heading north to Sonoma. Should I rent a car for the whole week and have a car while in Sonoma AND San Fran? If so, can you recommend a hip/nice moderately priced hotel in an area where parking is not a problem? Or is parking too much of a hastle in SF? should i just rent the car when heading north to sonoma?

Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do I need a rental car in SF?

Parking is really expensive in SF. Outside the hotel you will find that parking is not that easy to find unless you pay for it. So you'd be paying to park your car at your hotel and then if you take it out you will have to pay to park it elsewhere. We don't ususally use our car in the city though we have to drive there. If you are renting a car you should wait to get it until you need it for Sonoma.

Two good choices near Union Square Orchard Hotel (3rd night 50% off) & Villa Florance.

Villa Florance has a good restaurant in the lobby called Kuletos.

cheshire UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do I need a rental car in SF?

Have just spent 4 days in San Fran sightseeing before travelling around by car.

Collected car on day we left from Hertz at the Fairmount Hotel; it would have been a problem if we had it from day 1. The 3 day muni pass is great for getting about by cable car/ bus etc.

Union square area is the best location to stay(Orchard Hotel is great); start of cable car and , if you ask the right questions, some OK restaurants.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do I need a rental car in SF?

Yeah, don't do it. Rent the car when you need to head north. The motor lodges that do have cheap or parking included are not hip.

Kent UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do I need a rental car in SF?

Hi, we recently spent 5 nights in SF and did not need a car to see any of the sights. All are accessable by either walking from central area (Union Square) hotels or by using SF's great public transport system.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: do I need a rental car in SF?

You should not rent a car during your stay in San Francisco. Just rent it before going to Sonoma. Put it this way, residents of the city have problems with parking; think how much worse it'll be for a tourist, esp. one staying at a hotel. Space is a premium in the city, and hotels will charge you an arm and a leg to park in their lots. The only places that would allow free parking usually aren't that nice and wouldn't be close to downtown. SF Muni provides good public transportation to all the touristy and nice places that you'd most likely want to see.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,843 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do I need a rental car in SF?

Use public transit for most, if not all, of your time in San Francisco. If you really want to do things in the San Francisco area where a car would be handy (Muir Woods, a drive along the ocean, Twin Peaks, suburban malls) you could rent a car a day early and use it for those places, but you'll find that most of what you want to do in San Francisco can easily be done by public transit. I think you'll find it much more convenient not to have to look/pay for parking in SF!

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question