We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet lag Aus to SF

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Topic
Jet lag Aus to SF

I will be leaving Brisbane 8 June 12.40 arriving SF 8 June 12.20

with 2 hour stop in NZ.

Has anyone done a similar trip and did you get jet lag

Paul

W Virginia
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet lag Aus to SF

Just stick as close as possible to your normal sleep schedule on June 7 and June 9 and hydrate yourself a lot.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet lag Aus to SF

Good advice from Gigi's Budget and when you arrive DO NOT take a nap. Get out and enjoy the place and try and keep to Californian time and you will be fine.

I have done this trip dozens of times and I think the expectation of arriving in my favourite city keeps me awake and jet lag free anyway.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet lag Aus to SF

Stick with your normal schedule before you leave, sleep as much as you can on the plane (difficult I know), then when you get there don't go to sleep until your normal time(whatever that may be on holiday).

Whenever we have flown that route, with young kids, we have not had any problems with jet lag and it doesn't feel much different to flying Perth-Melbourne in summer during daylight saving. Probably does have something to do with excitement and anticipation.

Coming back home to Australia is a different story. After getting home Tuesday I wouldn't say I was much use at work until Friday afternoon.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet lag Aus to SF

Californiabound, Here's what I do that really seems to help. When you get on the plane set your watch, and your daily routine, to the time zone of where you're going. especially your sleep pattern. Try to force yourself to sleep when you should be sleeping in the new time zone. (use earplugs, eye covers, sleeping pills ..whatever) Don't pay any attetion to what time the movie is playing or when they serve meals, just go to sleep when you're supposed to and wake up when you're supposed to.

If you usually drink coffee or tea in the morning it is pretty easy to reset your body clock. On the day you travel don't drink your regular morning brew until the time you would be drinking it in the new time zone. Then stay on that schedule till you get there.

If you absolutely must take a nap when you arrive make it a very short one, about 30 minutes.

Hope this helps. Have Fun!