We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

We're renting bikes and riding to Sausalito about 3 pm on Sat. 9/1. I know the place will be packed because of the Art Festival and I want to make sure we get to the ferry landing in time to make the 6:20 departure back to the SF Ferry Bldg. Will getting there l/2 hour early be enough time (I think the ferry holds 70 bikes)? I found an address that says the ferry landing is on Humboldt and Anchor off Bridgeway. Will there be clearly marked signs to get to it? If we only have 60-90 min. to spend in Sausalito, what area should we focus on (please list specific streets) for interesting shops, photo ops, etc. Thanks for the help.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

I am doing the same on 9/3 I look forward to the replies for this question. Thanks for asking.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

paste this link into a browser window:

http://tinyurl.com/ysk5ma

this is the ferry landing entry street right by the Bank of America ATMs

1/2 hour should be plenty of time. you can look at the shops all along this area of Bridgeway, some are nice like the Bacchus & Venus shop offers wine tastings located at 769 Bridgeway, between Casa Madrona and the "No Name Bar". www.bacchusandvenus.com/tasting_room.html

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

Which Ferry are you taking back? Blue and Gold?

Also, I have a question regarding the ferry schedule. From the Blue and Gold website, they offer two schedules to/from Sausalito. One is the regular summer schedule with weekends such as Labor Day weekend, and the second is the Art Festival schedule. My question is which schedule to use? Will there be two services to Sausalito, one to Sausalito, and one to the Art Festival, or is the Art Festival schedule in place of the Summer schedule which would not operate? Thanks.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

swdke: I'm taking the Golden Gate Ferry that leaves at 6:20 pm on 9/1. It's $7.10 vs. $9.00 one way for the Blue and Gold and it goes to the Ferry Bldg. with an easy 2 mile bike ride back to the bike rental shop. It also holds a lot more bikes than the Blue and Gold. I don't know about the Labor Day Schedule. I've emailed both ferries and they're good to reply to any questions you may have.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

kcowley, thank you for thy information on about the Golden Gate Ferry. I will look into them. Glad to read they hold more bikes. I was concerned about possible lack of space due to weekend crowds. As you suggested, I may need to be there 1/2 hour early as well. Thank you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

Sausalito is a small place. Spend as much time as you like to check out it shops, sip coffee, see the occasional street art performance or walk along the shore. One hour is enough if not a bit rush for a relaxing place.

You cannot miss the ferry pier. Just show up at the pier 15 minutes before the departure should be fine. Even with the Art festival going on I don't expect the ferry to get full. If it does, the next ferry will arrive in less than an hour anyway (ferries alternate between ferry building and fisherman's wharf). On the other hand there is no harm to go there early. The pier is a nice place to sit back to watch the sea and enjoy california weather.

One word of advice, since you'll be riding bicycles, you should have a more flexible plan. You may be spending more time on the ride than you think. Or you may want to linger on longer at the many scenic spots on the way. If you plan for exactly one hour in Sausalito you maybe disappointed to find that you actually only have 10 minutes to spare.

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

The shops are pretty touristy but fun to walk through a bit. There is a nice little park right near the Ferry landing. It has a fountain and lovely flowers. It is a great place to relax, enjoy the sounds of the fountain and watch all the people going by (as a side note, if you keep walking by the front of the park, you will come to public bathrooms on the same side of the street as the park). We also bought sandwiches at Venice Market and enjoyed eating them on a bench down by the water. Sometimes it's nice to just sit back and relax for a bit!

Northeast
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

One other thing I just thought of- if you see a REALLY long line for the ferry, don't panic. Our line was super long but they had EVERYONE on within 10 minutes. And just to extend the bathroom thing, there were clean restrooms on the ferry but there are none right at the ferry landing.

9. Re: Sausalito ferry landing location, what to see in one hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 08, 2009